Adding Priming Sugar to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocalianMike

Reaction score
So here is my situation, I have a 5 gallon FastFerment Conical fermentor, so far I love it, zero problems that I could not fix.

I want to bottle two different beers, from the same 5 Gallon batch of Stout Beer.

My original plan was to begin to bottle about (15) 22oz bottles, stop, pitch some cold pressed coffee, come back in 24-48 hours and bottle the rest. The I remembered the priming sugar...

What effect may adding 5 gallons worth of priming sugar for bottle session one, only bottling half, then in 24-48hrs adding approx 2.3 gallons worth of priming sugar for bottle session 2?

Because the yeast collects at the bottom and I started with a very clean batch, most of the yeast should technically be gone thanks to the collection ball. What will happen to the excess sugar if there is minimal to no yeast?

You should be fine with 24-48hrs with the small amount of priming sugar that needed In a stout won't have too much activity.

There is not "minimal yeast" in a finished beer. The number that Jamil throws out is 1 million cells per ml.

If you prime a beer with the yeast dropped... it will begin fermenting within 24 hours.

My advice... get the coffee you want to add first and then do all your priming and bottling at once.

So here is my situation, I have a 5 gallon FastFerment Conical fermentor, so far I love it, zero problems that I could not fix.

I want to bottle two different beers, from the same 5 Gallon batch of Stout Beer.

My original plan was to begin to bottle about (15) 22oz bottles, stop, pitch some cold pressed coffee, come back in 24-48 hours and bottle the rest. The I remembered the priming sugar...

What effect may adding 5 gallons worth of priming sugar for bottle session one, only bottling half, then in 24-48hrs adding approx 2.3 gallons worth of priming sugar for bottle session 2?

Because the yeast collects at the bottom and I started with a very clean batch, most of the yeast should technically be gone thanks to the collection ball. What will happen to the excess sugar if there is minimal to no yeast?

If you add 5 gallons worth of bottling sugar for 5 gallons, that is all you need for the whole batch. Don't add 2.3 gallons worth more or you'll be way over-carbed and your bottles could explode.

You could transfer the first half to bottling bucket, add half priming sugar, then bottle. After coffee addition, add second half priming, then bottle.

There's always some yeast left in suspension, and it takes very little yeast to carb the bottles.

Let us know how both taste, comparison.

Ok solid advice, I will definitely carry forward with the low amount of priming sugar and keep it closer to 24 hours. I would transfer to a bottling bucket but I am cheap and don't want to buy a new one so that is why I tried the "all in one" FastFerment. Hopefully it comes out just fine and I can carry on this way. We will know in a couple of weeks, thanks!

Latest posts

Back