Adding priming sugar second time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qwartet

Reaction score
I bottled a batch of ale three weeks ago using bulk priming method. When there’s almost nothing left in a pale I’ve noticed that most of sugar didn’t dissolve staying at the bottom, which never happened before. I waited for three weeks, opened a bottle and, as I was expecting, it turned out absolutely flat.

So my question is would it make sense to re-bottle this batch again while adding more priming sugar or is it simply cannot be saved? Any help or advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, welcome to HBT!

Always dissolve your priming sugar in boiling water, and then rack on top of it. Give it a gentle stir to be safe.

So for this batch, if you hate drinking it flat then it makes sense to try to fix it. I would open each bottle and add a measured amount of sugar and re-cap.

Hey, welcome to HBT!

Always dissolve your priming sugar in boiling water, and then rack on top of it. Give it a gentle stir to be safe.

So for this batch, if you hate drinking it flat then it makes sense to try to fix it. I would open each bottle and add a measured amount of sugar and re-cap.

Thank you, glad to be here!

Very good advice, I guess I was somewhat careless with this step since never really had problems before, but lesson learned, unfortunately hard way.

Saving this batch would be great, even though it sounds like a lot of extra work but I’m willing to try it. And as you described it is how I thought to do it.

Thank you for your input!

Back