Adding orange peel to American Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasper18

Reaction score
So I have my eye on an American Wheat Beer extract kit from Midwest Supply. It uses 6lbs Wheat Malt Syrup, 1oz. of Willamette at 60min, and 1oz. of Cascade at 10min. can I, should I add some Valencia Orange Peel to give a nod to something like Blue Moon? Is an American Wheat beer even like BM? How much and at what point should I add the orange peel?

Thanks for some thoughts and opinions.

The best flavor I have gotten from citrus was added at flameout and steeped for 10-15 mins. I use the whole peel of an entire orange. I have done the same with lemons and limes

I've also done zest and get better flavor with the peels. You could add some zest after fermentation to primary, maybe at day 7 if you don't taste enough orange.

Blue Moon is a Witbier, so you would probably get something closer by using a Witbier yeast. I'm not sure about that valencia orange peel, but if you just want to doctor that kit I'd go with Witbier yeast, zest of 4 fresh oranges added at 5 min. left in the boil, and .5 oz. of cracked coriander at 5 min. You'll end up with something like an Americanized Wit, but a little different. You could also go with whatever American yeast strain they recommend if you are uncomfortable with liquid yeast.

I'm pretty sure Bluemoon uses an american ale yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=65328
Wayne1 initially suggested Chico. I use PacMan for mine. I add sweet orange peel with 5 min left in the boil. You could also take some fresh orange peel, soak in vodka, and add it after fermentation is done. I don't secondary my wheat, and keg after 14 days in the fermentor.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to clone blue moon. The kit comes with Safale US-05 so that's what I'll use. Just thought I'd mix it up a little with sprinkling those dried peels i linked to in there. How much do you get by zesting 4 oranges? I mean i guess i could use fresh orange, although the dried ready to go kind is preferable.

Blue Moon has always used pre-ground corriander and Valencia orange peel. Keith did not want the bitterness of Curacao oranges. He preferred the sweetness of the ground Valencia.

Try 1.25 tsp of ground corriander added to the kettle 10 minutes before the end of boil. This is for a 5-6 gallon batch.

Add 0.33tsp of ground Valencia orange peel 5 minutes before the end of boil.

That's from the blue moon clone link @Brentk14 linked to above (Wayne1 was involved in the actual creation of actual Blue Moon just in case you didn't read that thread and since you're not trying to clone it I'm assuming you wouldn't have). I know you said you're not trying to do a clone but that should give you an idea of they recommended for one, so if you wanted to get a similar amount of orange flavor its a good place to start. If you want more or less orange then BM you could adjust to suit your tastes.

I have the Blue Moon clone from Wayne1 in the primary right now and I used the same McCormick stuff you linked to. I didn't use 3 tsp though else where in the thread Wayne1 gives weight volumes for a larger microbrew batch he did and i scaled the weight down to 5 gallon batch size which ended up being about 8 grams (less than 1.5 tsp) but I haven't tasted yet so I can't give you direction based on it.

So I have my eye on an American Wheat Beer extract kit from Midwest Supply. It uses 6lbs Wheat Malt Syrup, 1oz. of Willamette at 60min, and 1oz. of Cascade at 10min. can I, should I add some Valencia Orange Peel to give a nod to something like Blue Moon? Is an American Wheat beer even like BM? How much and at what point should I add the orange peel?

Thanks for some thoughts and opinions.

I add two ounces of fresh Valencia orange zest, the white pith of the orange peel is tasteless and very bitter, to a 5 gallon batch. For more complexity try adding 0.25 ounce of dried bitter orange peel along with the zest too. For my Orange Sunshine Witbier the orange additions go in to the kettle 10 minutes before flameout. I don't like the taste of Coriander, when it's overpowering, in my beer so I add 0.25 tsp. of freshly ground seeds when I add the orange additions.

That's from the blue moon clone link @Brentk14 linked to above (Wayne1 was involved in the actual creation of actual Blue Moon just in case you didn't read that thread and since you're not trying to clone it I'm assuming you wouldn't have). I know you said you're not trying to do a clone but that should give you an idea of they recommended for one, so if you wanted to get a similar amount of orange flavor its a good place to start. If you want more or less orange then BM you could adjust to suit your tastes.

I have the Blue Moon clone from Wayne1 in the primary right now and I used the same McCormick stuff you linked to. I didn't use 3 tsp though else where in the thread Wayne1 gives weight volumes for a larger microbrew batch he did and i scaled the weight down to 5 gallon batch size which ended up being about 8 grams (less than 1.5 tsp) but I haven't tasted yet so I can't give you direction based on it.

Hey please let me know how it turns out ok? I don't mind orange flavor just don't want it to be too much. needs a nice balance.

Just to clarify: I'm not trying to clone blue moon. The kit comes with Safale US-05 so that's what I'll use. Just thought I'd mix it up a little with sprinkling those dried peels i linked to in there. How much do you get by zesting 4 oranges? I mean i guess i could use fresh orange, although the dried ready to go kind is preferable.

Dried will give you what you want. As others have implied, you'll get an orange-y Am. Wheat, but not a Blue Moon. Along with the orange peel addition, you could try a little orange extract @ packaging to enhance the flavor/aroma. But you gotta be careful with the artificial extracts since too much can give you a medicinal taste. I racked a 5 gal batch of Belgian Wit onto an apricot puree for two weeks and at bottling added 4 oz. Brewer's Best Apricot Extract. Although it came out pretty good, next time I'd add ~1 oz. less. While the extract definitely enhanced the flavor/aroma, it borders on the edge of tasting artificial.

Hey please let me know how it turns out ok? I don't mind orange flavor just don't want it to be too much. needs a nice balance.

Will do, Its been in Primary for a week as of midnight tonight so I'll probably take a taste of a hydrometer sample at some point this week and let you know.

Blue Moon may claim to be a Belgian Wit, but it tastes nothing like a wit. They use a very neutral yeast . I would think adding fresh orange zest would give a really nice aroma and flavor.

Yeah I think i'll stay away from flavor extracts for now. I like it natural or not at all haha. I'll be excited to get this batch going. As far as American Wheat beers are concerned: do you want a clear beer or some haze?

The beer in my signature line below was done with 1 oz. cascade hops for 15mins. and lemon zest boiled in hot water, then pitched directly into the fermenter. I used dry Briess 65/35 extract and a bit of Munich/Vienna steeping grain, and Carapils to boot. The wort was vigorously aerated by hand and looked exactly like home-brewed lemon tea - it was THAT DARK!

At this time, it's changed color significantly after fermenting two weeks, turning a thick golden color. No clear wheat beers for me yet, I want the haze - for now.

My wife got me the Mr. Beer kit as a present. I took it and jumped two or three steps to the next level, never using anything but the PET bottles and extract out of it. I believe staying simple with a minimum of adjuncts makes things a lot easier when you first start out.

I just tried a hydrometer sample and it was pretty good. I got more orange aroma than taste but my wife picked out the orange flavor right away. I think it's a subtle taste wise but the nose really brings it out. You could definitely do more if you wanted a pop or orange but like 8 grams of that McCormick Valencia orange peel at 5 min remaining is nice and subtle. Hopefully that gives you a guide post to get to the beer you're looking for

I just tried a hydrometer sample and it was pretty good. I got more orange aroma than taste but my wife picked out the orange flavor right away. I think it's a subtle taste wise but the nose really brings it out. You could definitely do more if you wanted a pop or orange but like 8 grams of that McCormick Valencia orange peel at 5 min remaining is nice and subtle. Hopefully that gives you a guide post to get to the beer you're looking for

You are the man good sir! I will give it a try for this next batch. Thanks

I add the zest from 4 large oranges with 10 min left in the boil to a Hefe that I make and it taste great. Probably one of my most popular beers.
Hey please check my thread because this is what I am trying to do at the moment and I would really appreciate some experienced advice. Many thanks!

Back