Adding nuts to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I am looking to make a porter and add nuts to it. One of the methods I read about suggested roasting the nuts in the oven to get the oils out, then crushing and adding the nuts to a mason jar with enough vodka to cover them and letting them soak for a week, after which you would then add the liquor to the beer in secondary.

1. Would the vodka impart any alcohol flavor in the beer doing so? I'd imagine it would take quite a bit of vodka to cover up a pound of nuts.

2. Has anyone done this and had success?

3. If not this method, what method do you recommend to add nut flavoring to beer?

i'm looking for pistachio flavor. i've seen a lot of pure pistachio extracts but i'd rather shoot for the real flavor if possible.

If you are looking for a peanut flavor you could try PB2. What kind of nut flavor are you going for?

The extract you buy is essentially the same thing you would make only a little stronger. If you make it, get your pistachios, probably around a half cup and make sure there are no skins on them as this will cause it to be bitter. I assume raw pistachios would work better for this (just like raw almonds for almond extract). Chop up your pistachios and combine with a cup of vodka and let sit for 1-3 months. Shaking the jar whenever you remember to do so. It will probably have a pistachio flavor after one month but it really hits its stride at 3+ months.

Disclaimer: I have never made pistachio extract, only almond extract.

The extract you buy is essentially the same thing you would make only a little stronger.

I recently used a key lime extract that was pure and it still seemed a tad bit artificial tasting to me. Are nut extracts a little more true to form?

I feel like it tastes artificial if you use too much of it, but that is just me. I have never used extracts in beer so I don't know how it would affect the flavor.

I made a pecan extract for a porter. I blanched the the raw pecans for a minute (read somewhere this reduces tannins/astringency) then roasted till dark brown in oven on parchment paper, let cool and coarsely ground in food processor. I put this into a mason jar and covered with everclear (190 proof alcohol) for a month periodically spooning any oil from the top. I ran the liquid through a coffee filter into another jar and added the extract at bottling.

If you haven't heard of the "tea"method, I'll post a link to a batch I did early in my brewing career in which this method was explained. It (the beer) turned out poorly for me but the flavor extraction method worked great.. Also, keep in mind that you don't want the oils in your beer, they kill head retention and oils can become rancid. If you are going to use the oils, look into emulsifiers such as lecithin, this way you can include the oils but not worry about them taking away from your final product.

Back