Adding more base malt + specialty malts for partigyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
For those that have partigyled beers - have you added base malt to the second mash to help bring up the gravity of the second beer? If so what was you mash rest on that? I'm wondering if you were to do a rest in that second round for 60 mins or so if you would be extracting tannins or any off flavors.

I'm hoping to brewing a pilsner base for the first beer, then add some 2-row and crystal for an ESB. :mug:

I made an imperial stout, then added some additional speciality malts and rye malt to make a rye porter. I didn't add any base malt to my bill for the second runnings.

How long do you have to steep the additional specialty malts for the second runnings?

What equipment are you using. If you only have one BK then you will be waiting on that.

Do you plan on using your HLT as the second BK , drain MLT first runnings into BK and then batch sparge and drain into 2nd BK that was HLT?

If what I am guessing is close I would add the extra grain into the HLT while you are heating sparge water. (It can be in a bag or not, it's all going into your LT)

I haven't done a proper parti-gyle yet, but I have studied the theory a bunch.

As I understand it the brewer doesn't add more base malt and do a second mash, you just over-do the mash in the first place.

You can steep grains that don't need to be mashed separately for about 15 minutes in warm water, below 165F. Or if the steeping grains are being used in the weakest beer you're making you can just add them to the rest of the grains while you sparge.

If you're thinking about adding more base malt to one of the beers you probably want to do another, separate, mash in parallel to your main mash.

Capping the the mash with more and/or different grains is a common thing to do for the 2nd runnings...

You can add more base malt to up your ABV in the smaller beer, or add different specialty grains for a distinct character compared to the larger beer.

Conversion of the starches actually happens pretty quickly, so you can just do 15-20 minutes at sacchrification temps to convert for the 2nd runnings.

Keep in mind, your efficiencies won't be what you're used to... Factor that in when planning your recipe.

Conversion of the starches actually happens pretty quickly, so you can just do 15-20 minutes at sacchrification temps to convert for the 2nd runnings.

BrewStrong podcast episode about mashing I feel it is relevant to the idea of a 15 minute mash. For the particular segment about mash times, skip to just before the 35 (or, if you are really short on time, 38:30) minute mark. Not saying that 15 minute mashes are great or awful, I just think it is worth knowing about when you want to get a beer to fit a certain profile.

BrewStrong podcast episode about mashing I feel it is relevant to the idea of a 15 minute mash. For the particular segment about mash times, skip to just before the 35 (or, if you are really short on time, 38:30) minute mark. Not saying that 15 minute mashes are great or awful, I just think it is worth knowing about when you want to get a beer to fit a certain profile.
Wow! What a great podcast. Better detail about enzyme activity over time/temp than I have seen/heard elsewhere. Especially the emphasis on things occurring across temp ranges vs. happening at specific temps. Should be required listening for anyone wanting a better understanding of mashing kinetics. Got to go find the follow-on podcasts now.

Brew on :mug:

How long do you have to steep the additional specialty malts for the second runnings?

I didn't steep. I added the grains to the mash tun with the original grain profile and added full volume of water (7.5 gallons) and mashed for 45 minutes. I probably didn't have to mash that long. Eye porter turned out very well.

I didn't steep. I added the additional grains to the mash tun, which still had my original grain bill. I added full volume of water (7.5 gallons), mashed for 45 minutes, then drained, boiled, etc. I probably didn't have to mash that long, but did anyways. Rye porter turned out well.

Thanks for the replies - looks like it would be fine to add more base grain and specialty for the second runnings.

I do have two brew kettles and an igloo rect mash tun.

To read up a bit more about what I'm doing here, check out this message - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7776065#post7776065

I'll admit its not traditional "partigyle", but I seemed to have pulled some great results after the initial run. Certainly helps me with efficiency of my grain. I'm thinking of adding another burner so that I can get the boils overlapping.

Back