Adding molasses at kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxpx40

Reaction score
Did a search already. Found plenty of references to the taste of molasses. I'm interested in ideas for adding molasses to a standard Porter recipe at kegging. Considering the viscosity of molasses, I imagine it will pose a problem to stir in. What are some techniques for adding molasses and what can I expect in flavor?

Mix it with some of the beer, or water before adding, so it becomes liquid. After purging the headspace, roll the keg to disperse thoroughly. You can force carbonate it that way all at the same time. Then drink it right away or the next day. ;)

If you keep the keg cold it's unlikely the remaining yeast will start to ferment it, so the flavor stays closer to what you're tasting now.

I don't care for fermented molasses, it tastes metallic to me.

Mix it with some of the beer, or water before adding, so it becomes liquid. After purging the headspace, roll the keg to disperse thoroughly. You can force carbonate it that way all at the same time. Then drink it right away or the next day. ;)

If you keep the keg cold it's unlikely the remaining yeast will start to ferment it, so the flavor stays closer to what you're tasting now.

I don't care for fermented molasses, it tasted metallic to me.

Many years ago I added 8 oz. of unsulphured molasses to a 5-1/2 gallon Scotch Wee Heavy batch and fermented it. It took many months for it to become drinkable (or was it for me to cave in and tolerate it), and I've never used molasses since. Come to think of it, metallic is a very good descriptor.

Latest posts

Back