Adding lime to my light beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey401

Reaction score
I'll be racking my beer to secondary and adding amylase enzyme to get it good and crisp. Considering adding lime zest at this time, or should I make an extract with zest and grain alcohol and add it at bottling, or use lime juice at some time. Thought someone could chime in and tell me what worked best for them. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have added dried Lime Peel purchased from LHBS with good results. It was a 1 gallon batch of a low abv rye wheat beer.

Added 0.1 oz at flameout.

This may not help you since you are past the brewing phase.

I've also added lime to a previous brew (see the lemon-lime hefeweizen in the recipe section... yum!). It also called for lime zest at the end of the boil (last 5 minutes).

My main concern would be sterilizing the lime zest. Without boiling, one option would probably be soaking in alcohol, like vodka or 190-proof grain alcohol.

You could also try to steep it as you would tea. That might get you the lime flavor you're looking for, and should kill any nasties on the zest at the same time. Just use a high enough temperature.

I did a Lemon hefe and a Lime hefe. Called for a bottle of Simply Leomonade and Simply Limeade after primary fermentation was compelte. Tasty and simple.

Back