Adding hops to Mr Beer American Devil IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACarver

Reaction score
Thought I would do one last batch of Mr Beer before I move on to bigger and better things (literally, the girlfriend won't let me get 5 gal equipment before we move out of the apartment and into our house) and decided on the American Devil IPA. I have read a few places that this is Mr Beer's best variety.

The kit contains two hopped LME cans and I will be putting some extra light DME to bump up the ABV and hopefully flavor.

Anyway... I also picked up two packets of hops today, 1oz Citra, 1oz Palisade (only got the Palisade because it was on super sale). I was wondering what variety to add during boil, and which to dry hop with. Should I use all 2oz, or just maybe 1/2 of each? Keep in mind that Mr Beer only makes a little over 2 gallons.

Any advise about the hops or my beer in general would be greatly appreciated.

I've done ADIPA a few times and it's never been hoppier enough for my taste but I used Cascades and did a 45 minute boil adding 1 oz at 45, .5 oz at 20 and 5 and dry hopped with .5 after 7 days. I used 2 cans plus 1 lb DME and .25 carapils. I'm not sure if Citra is what you want in a long boil, maybe at 15 or 10 minutes. I don't use Mr. Beer much and it's been awhile so hopefully others will pop in with their suggestions.
Enjoy the obsession!

All depends on how hoppy you like your beer. I would use the citra later in the boil and/or to dry hop. An oz of each will make a pretty hoppy beer in 2 gallons. However I love bitter hoppy beer personally so I might use more. That's the great thing about brewing you get to experiment

Right now I am brewing a experimental my self I am calling it " Orange Honey Hopevizen". It will be a hoppy heff style. So cheers and enjoy your beers. .

Wow... thanks for the input. I forgot to say in my original post that I love hoppy beer. Favorites are Bell's 2 Hearted and Hopslam. Never really dealt with Palisade before, anyone have suggestions on when to add that one? Great info by the way on the citra for late addition and dry hopping, much appreciated.

:mug:

I got Bell's 2 Hearted on my brew list in 2 weeks. Looking forward to ti.
ADIPA by itself, even 2 cans for 2 gallons, is not hoppy so if you like hoppy beers, you definitely should add hops.

Latest posts

Back