Adding honey to bump SG to where it should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash568

Reaction score
So my brew day got a little messed up my brew bag was to small for my kettle so the mash was too tight and only converted to about half what my sg should have been so I added a lb of honey to it. I plugged it into brew toad and it looks like my sg should be around what it should have been now. What do you think will be the noticeable affect of doing this?

The resulting beer will have less of whatever character you were getting from the grains, and will be lighter in body due to the high fermentability of honey. Bottom line: you'll get beer, and maybe good beer, but maybe not the beer you expected.

I figured that would likely be the case but wasn't sure. I can always count on this place to give me some solid answers to all my questions!

I buy containers of honey at my local "warehouse club" I usually end up with 2/3 crystalized, and put it in whatever batch I have scheduled at the time. Never resulted in something I didn't like.

Back