Adding honey thins beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
Going to brew ahs's half Belgian wit because it's getting hot and I'd like something easy to drink. Wanted to give it a nice honey flavor so I was going to add some honey malt (about 8 oz). I was also thinking about adding some honey at flame to dry it out and balance the residual sweetness from the honey malt.

My confusion comes on what effect adding honey will have on the body of the beer. I know adjunct sugar thins beer but is that because people use it instead of sugars from malt to get their abv up? or will just adding honey on top of the base recipe thin the beer?

8 oz shouldn't thin it out too much as long as you have enough base malt. The honey malt will contribute to the flavor a lot as well.

I added a pound of honey to a blonde ale a while back. It turned out really cidery and thin.

The sugars in honey ferment more completely than those in your malts leaving less mouthfeel. The "thinner" is actually "drier", like wine.

The sugars in honey ferment more completely than those in your malts leaving less mouthfeel. The "thinner" is actually "drier", like wine.[/]

Ok that makes sense. It just didn't make sense more sugar would make beer thinner. Now it's clear. Thanks

Back