Adding Hemp to Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gradnin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not trying to clone the Hemporer beer, but I am interested in how to go about adding hemp flavor. I like the concept of this and I am always interested in playing with a new ingredient.

On New Belgium's website, they include this comment in the description of the Hemporer beer:
"Without getting too nerdy, we found a unique way to recreate hemp terpene flavors in a beer, which complement the inclusion of hop flavors and hemp hearts (seeds) in a brand new, delicious way—not to mention this beer is extremely dank!"

That doesn't really tell me anything about New Belgium's process or where I would find the terpene flavor to add to a beer. It seems like I could add hemp seeds, possibly by cracking them -- like adding coriander to a saison, etc. Maybe hemp flower? (if attainable) Possibly whirlpool it in or do a hopstand? (would that be a hempstand?) And, if using flower or seeds, does anyone know what temp the hemp can withstand before the oils start breaking down? Can you "dryhop" with hemp flower or cracked hemp seeds?

Just looking for some input on where the flavor comes from before I start experimenting.

Thank you.

Back