Adding glucose to German weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarkin712

Reaction score
I have come across a few articles that describe a mashing technique that produces a higher level of glucose. This is used by Germans in wheat beers to produce a prominent banana character. Here's a link to a preview of one such article on this mash type:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/78556575/Wheat-Beers-Michae-Eder
I do not wish to go through any complex mash schedules or decoction. I always just use single step mash. I would like to get more banana flavor in my German weizens. I have tried a number of variables such as fermentation temperature, yeast pitching rate, oxygenation rate, and grist makeup. Some of these have yielded a bit more banana, but not as much as I had hoped for.
Given the hypothesis in these articles that a wort richer in glucose(actually has something to do with the ratio of glucose to maltose) would yield higher levels of banana flavor, I would think I could just add some glucose to my normal wort and expect more banana. Anyone ever try this?
First, there are a few source of glucose that I am aware of that are readily available - dextrose, honey, and invert sugar. I wonder if those have the correct conformation of glucose, as glucose is an isomer with an L and D form. D is the form known as dextrose. Would a mash as described is the article produce the D or L form, or does it even matter? My guess is that it produces the D form, which is the form that is metabolized by humans.
Second, how much glucose to add? If I had the time and resources I would turn this into a Brulosopher inspired exBeeriment with increasing amounts of glucose added to separate batches. To start, I think I'll add somewhere between one half to one pound of honey to a 5 gallon batch and see what happens. Sound like a good idea? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

I decided to give this a try. Yesterday I made my customary German weizen recipe, but subbed in 1/2 lb of dextrose in place of an equivalent gravity contribution from wheat and pilsener malts. I pitched 100 billions cells of Wyeast 3638 at high krausen from a starter into 5.25 gal of wort oxygenated for 15 seconds with pure oxygen(usually do 60-75 seconds for ales). Yeast was pitched at 62F and temp will be held at 64F. I've never used 3638 before, but it should produce banana according to its description. I should have results in a week.

If you want banana underpitch (just pitch a smack pack without a starter) of Wyeast 3068 in a 5 gallon batch of normal to slightly stronger gravity 50/50 wheat/pilsner wort and ferment at 70-75 degrees. No need to add glucose. 3638 should give you much the same result as 3068.
Information you weren't sure about on glucose- no need to worry about D vs. L form:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose
Information from Wyeast on this strain:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=135

Latest posts

Back