Adding gelatin finings - the no BS way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
Stupid autocorrect. Sorry can't edit the subject.

Can someone please provide me with simple step by step instructions on how to add gelatin finings to my beer. I've never done it before. I have a small container of LD Carlson gelatin. Label says add 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gal. Soak in cold water for an hour add boiling water to dissolve. I've seen a lot of conflicting instructions online. I have a keg of uncarbonated kolsch beer at 30 F i want to add it to.

Thank You

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You aren't kidding about the conflicting info. I use biofine just for that reason. I'd like to hear the responses, sorry for being of no help.

Just added it 2 minutes ago. Took no time at all. I'm looking forward to the results.

Knox directions
Cold-crash beer in carboy for 2 or 3 days first
Sprinkle 1/2 tbsp gelatin into Pyrex measuring cup containing 1 cup water.
Wait 20-30 minutes.
Microwave for 45 seconds.
Check temperature with sanitized candy thermometer
Microwave in 10-15 second increments until temperature approaches 150° F
Stir with sanitized spoon to ensure gelatin is completely dissolved
Pour solution into carboy of cold beer
Wait 3-4 more days
Rack to corney keg, leaving sediment behind, begin carbing.

Knox directions
Wait 20-30 minutes.
Wait 3-4 more days

I do this. Works well

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

I just realized i forgot to shake my keg around after adding the gelatin/water mixture. Does it matter?

Knox directions
Wait 20-30 minutes.
Wait 3-4 more days

This is EXACTLY what I do (even with the candy thermometer!), and I've had great results.

Sent from the future using a Delorean

Does the gelatin layer sink all the way to the bottom so its flat on the trub?
Or is there a 1-2 inch thick layer of "stuff" that you also leave behind = lost beer?

I've always done it in my kegs, so I don't know how it settles in the fermenter, but as far as lost beer, probably about two pints of "sludge" comes out, then crystal clear beer from there.

Does the gelatin layer sink all the way to the bottom so its flat on the trub?
Or is there a 1-2 inch thick layer of "stuff" that you also leave behind = lost beer?

There really wouldn't be any lost beer. If any sludge sinks to the bottom, then the level of beer rises to displace the volume of gelatin added.

Whats the purpose of letting it bloom for 20 min. I've usually just mixed mine with water and started heating right away. Never tried it the other way so I'm just wondering.

The method I use (stolen from the Garage Brewers Society forum):

Boil a cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave, 3-4 minutes. While it is cooking, wash and sanitize a fork and thermometer probe. As soon as the microwave beeps, open the door and drop the fork and probe in the hot water. Be careful, because the water will bubble and spit when adding them. Quickly close the microwave door and wait until the temps drop below 180 or so, only a couple of minutes. Then add a packet of Knox Gelatin and mix it up. After mixed, Add 1/2 cup per keg. If the beer is still in the carboy, rack into the keg on top of the gelatin. Put on CO2, pour off the sludge and drink clear beer. I don't bother letting the gelatin mixture cool to room temp. The mixture will instantly cool off to your beer temperature.

If you aren't going to move the kegs, there is no need to transfer to a new keg. The sediment will form a nice cake at the bottom and stay there until the keg blows. But if you are preparing a keg to serve at a festival where the keg will be moved and shaken, I would definitely transfer to a clean keg.

Whats the purpose of letting it bloom for 20 min. I've usually just mixed mine with water and started heating right away. Never tried it the other way so I'm just wondering.

Seems like an additional step that just adds time and complexity. Maybe its something that adds an imperceptibly small improvement. Anyhow, I'm gonna check my results in a couple weeks and see. If my beer is clear then i know i won't need to add time with the 'bloom' process.

What about adding gelatin finings to beer that is already carbonated? Any adverse reactions? thanks.

Thanks. I figured the same. That second post was so sarcastic. Some people here think their **** don't stank. I plan on naturally carbonating with spunding valve and then adding the gelatin. Glad i won't run into problems.

From the above link. The second post in that thread. About making beer jello.

Here's a cream ale I just finished, I ran out of Irish moss so used the gelatin method described above (cold crash beer, throw in keg, bloom gelatin, microwave to 150). It's been settling in the keg for about a week now and it's still not bright.

I chilled to pitching in around 6m when I brewed this, so that's not the problem.

Maybe Irish moss (or whirl floc) is just absolutely necessary, even if you're planning on using gelatin. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392344865.217274.jpg

I'm very happy with my results. First time using gelatin. I did not let it 'bloom'. I did not shake my keg after adding. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392350495.961926.jpg

So do you guys think that adding gelatin after a dry hop will result in substantially less hop aroma. Maybe the gelatin will bond with the hop oils and cause them to precipitate out?

Piggybacking on this gelatin question.

I'm on a quest for clearer beer and tried gelatin for the first time today. I have a Helles in secondary that has been 'lagering' in my garage for about 4 weeks. It started to look very clear in the carboy (I could read fine print held against the other side the carboy) but I've seen VERY clear beer in my carboy before... and then been disappointed once it pours from the keg.

So I decided to try gelatin, using the bertusbrewery method. Heated in increments to 155 degrees. Stirred well. Poured directly into carboy. Did not stir after that.

15 minutes later, the previously clear Helles has totally clouded up. Is this expected results? Am I seeing the gelatin coagulating particles that I couldn't see before and now I just wait another few days for it to drop? (Good news. :D)

Or did I somehow undo all of the positive effects I gained from lagering? *(Bad news. :mad:)

So do you guys think that adding gelatin after a dry hop will result in substantially less hop aroma. Maybe the gelatin will bond with the hop oils and cause them to precipitate out?

My experience is that, yes, it does impact both the aroma and bitterness of the hops. For the most part, I've been OK with that.

The warm gelatin drops into the cold beer thanks to gravity, and then - because it's warmer than the beer - begins to rise. It gradually matches the temp of the beer, and then, because it's heavier, it sinks. When it sinks, it carries particulates with it.

15 minutes is too little time. Give it 2-3 days and hopefully you'll see something good.

The warm gelatin drops into the cold beer thanks to gravity, and then - because it's warmer than the beer - begins to rise. It gradually matches the temp of the beer, and then, because it's heavier, it sinks. When it sinks, it carries particulates with it.

15 minutes is too little time. Give it 2-3 days and hopefully you'll see something good.
I wasn't expecting positive results within 15 min, but I guess I wasn't expecting reverse results either. The beer initially appeared very clear, so what did the gelatin do? It hit the bottom, grabbed yeast from what little sediment there was and dragged it back up (to, hopefully, drop it down again a few days later)?

Piggybacking on this gelatin question.

I'm on a quest for clearer beer and tried gelatin for the first time today. I have a Helles in secondary that has been 'lagering' in my garage for about 4 weeks. It started to look very clear in the carboy (I could read fine print held against the other side the carboy) but I've seen VERY clear beer in my carboy before... and then been disappointed once it pours from the keg.

So I decided to try gelatin, using the bertusbrewery method. Heated in increments to 155 degrees. Stirred well. Poured directly into carboy. Did not stir after that.

15 minutes later, the previously clear Helles has totally clouded up. Is this expected results? Am I seeing the gelatin coagulating particles that I couldn't see before and now I just wait another few days for it to drop? (Good news. :D)

Or did I somehow undo all of the positive effects I gained from lagering? *(Bad news. :mad:)

Same method I use. Sometime I stir it after dumping it in. Sometimes I don't. If the beers cold. In 2-3 days it will clear.

I have found, to rush things along without harming quality, is get the beer down to just above freezing. +.5C in my case. Then immediately add the gelatin mixture, and let sit at that temp for 48 more hours. Results were even better than I'd hoped. This process definitely increased my bottle carbonation time by a significant amount. However, I did achieve carb and there was very little yeast in the bottom of the bottle at serving time.

I have also just recently started using gelatin finings. Since I brew 11 gallon batches (10 into the kegs) I find it convenient to use half a packet of Knox in each 5 gallon Corny. I have gotten brilliantly clear Special Bitter and Kölsch.

One thing I noticed with the Kölsch but not with the Bitter is that the last glass of beer carried out all of the sediment the gelatin had removed. About one full pint of beer was very cloudy, then the keg kicked.

The odd thing was that there was no gunky sediment in the keg bottom when I rinsed it. Normally they yeast and other sediment forms a moderately dense cake in the keg, this time, it was mostly gone, and rinsed out effortlessly.

Is this usual? Not complaining or worrying, just wondering.

Latest posts

Back