Adding fruit using hop bag vs Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Rather than use a secondary, which I would need to buy at the LHBS when I go to get my grain bill, would it make just as much sense to add raspberries like I would if I were dryhopping? My plan would be to let the beer ferment down to FG, then, add a dryhopping bag filled with raspberries that have been frozen and thawed out. I'd leave the raspberries in for approx 1-2 weeks. Then I'd pull out the bag of raspberries, rack to my bottling jug and bottle. I'm thinking that this plan would eliminate the need for a secondary as well as keep the raspberry seeds from getting into the beer.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

I always add fruit like I am "dry hopping". You need to mash the berries so you actually get some flavor in the beer. I only rack to a secondary when using fruit to get out the fruit particles that are in the beer. I am sure you could filter them out when you transfer to the bottling bucket if you have one.

On another note if you buy another bucket you will be able to ferment more beer when not using it for a secondary.

I always add fruit like I am "dry hopping". You need to mash the berries so you actually get some flavor in the beer. I only rack to a secondary when using fruit to get out the fruit particles that are in the beer. I am sure you could filter them out when you transfer to the bottling bucket if you have one.

On another note if you buy another bucket you will be able to ferment more beer when not using it for a secondary.

When you add the fruit to the primary in a hop bag (after FG has been reached), will the fruit kick-start a new vigorous fermentation? I've read in a few areas that people recommend that when adding fruit, you have more than enough head space.

Yes, you are introducing sugars when you add fruit so it will restart fermentation. I always use a blow off tube and I didn't have any problems.

Ok- I've got my plan down and was hoping for some critiques...

Remember, this is an AG 1-Gallon batch:

I'm going to brew a raspberry wheat. I'm following the instructions for the beer and allowing it to ferment 5-7 days at 68 degrees.

Once the FG is met, I'm going to rack from the primary to a clean secondary.

At that point, I'm going to remove about .5 pound of frozen raspberries from the freezer and allow them to thaw out, spraying them all over with StarSan.

I'll then take a boiled and sanitized hop bag and slip it into my carboy, then drop the raspberries down into it.

I'll then let it ferment out for 2 more weeks and remove the hop bag/raspberries, leaving a clean, seedless beer :)

Thoughts?

I recently bottled my raspberry wheat, 5 gallon batch. I did about 3 pounds for 5 gallons, so .5 for 1 gallon sounds about right.

As for sanitizing, I soaked the raspberrys in vodka for about 20 minutes, stirring them around. I'm not sure what star san would do, but I'm not crazy about drinking that stuff. I figured with vodka, the worst that happens would be more alcohol in the beer.

The hop bag sounds good too, I didn't use one since I kind of liked the idea of raspberry bits in the beer, but to each their own. I let it sit in the secondary for about 10 days.

Good luck!

The concern I would have is making sure you get enough surface area contact on the raspberries. If they are pressed together in the bag it's probably going to take longer to break down the fruit. I've never used a bag for this reason but I probably will in the future because loose pieces of fruit is a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Your plan sounds good for the most part. I'd avoid the Star San and go with the vodka. Vodka has no flavor of its own so it won't change the flavor of the beer if a little gets added to the wort. I'd crush the berries. Do it while they are still semi-frozen. And I'd put the berries in at the beginning of fermentation. I've done several batches of Belgian Wit with fruit of various sorts and never had a problem adding the fruit from the beginning. The fruit flavor is there but not overwhelming, which is the way I like it.

Have fun,
John

Back