Adding fruit to secondary. To do or not to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBeer

Reaction score
This is my second batch of beer and made a simple brew. I have it in the primary for 10 days now. I haven't taken any OG readings yet (bubble activity is ~5-7 bpm). I was wondering if I can turn this into a more interesting beer by racking it into the secondary and adding some fruits, flavors? etc.(also how do I go about doing it without risking contamination)

Do you have any suggestions on this or should I not mess with it and leave it as is. Thank you guys!

Here is the recipe:
Style: English Mild
Type: Extract
Size: 5 gallons
Boil: 60 minutes
OG: 1.036
FG: 1.009
ABV: 3.5%
IBU: 16
SRM: 12+

Ingredients:
Fermentables:
4 lbs -- Light DME*

Hops:
0.25 oz -- Magnum (14% AA) @ 60 minutes (this is purely for bittering)
0.50 oz -- Goldings (5% AA) @ 20 min

Yeast:
1 pkg -- SafAle English Ale S-04

You could do an apricot ale by adding a large can of puree to the secondary, and then add 2-4 oz of apricot extract just before bottling/kegging. This is generally considered safe to do, provided you're using canned fruit, which is pasturized.

Alternatively you could add some dry hops for interest, 1 oz for mild aromas, 2 oz or more for something a bit more potent. I'm not sure what would go best with golding's. You could just add the hop pellets to the secondary for 4-8 days. I put a nylon bag over the end of my racking cane to filter them out at bottling. My last brew was a clone of Heady Topper which had an insane hopping regimen, but it came out delicious. The brew prior to that was similar to your's, and I dry hopped with 1 oz Galaxy, and 1 oz cascade. That added some wonderful aromas.

This is the best part of brewing. Experimentation. Add the juice of fruit at the end of boil for a subtle flavor or in secondary phase for more of a pronounced flavor. I say Do your research and go for it...It's your beer. Post pics and what not to keep us updated.

I added peach puree to secondary for a peach pale ale and it turned out delicious. It was very cloudy and a little pulpy... not the prettiest beer but that's okay. The sugar in the peaches also restarted fermentation and the FG ended up considerably lower than it was when I racked it after activity had been stopped for a couple days.

You could do an apricot ale by adding a large can of puree to the secondary, and then add 2-4 oz of apricot extract just before bottling/kegging. This is generally considered safe to do, provided you're using canned fruit, which is pasturized.

I have a packet of partially dried apricots at home (not sure if it is pasteurized). Can I pasteurize it by soaking it in some vodka and then adding it to secondary? Will this work? It's a little tough for me to get my hands on puree or extract.
Thank you for the suggestions!

I added peach puree to secondary for a peach pale ale and it turned out delicious. It was very cloudy and a little pulpy... not the prettiest beer but that's okay. The sugar in the peaches also restarted fermentation and the FG ended up considerably lower than it was when I racked it after activity had been stopped for a couple days.

Peach puree! Will definitely try it for the next ale. Thank you!!

I've never had good luck with peaches in beer. Apricot puree then use the right hops and you will get a much better peach flavor

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd definitely recommend erring on the low-side of fruit quantities: I recently made a wheat beer which I split in two and added raspberries to one, and strawberries and basil to the other. It came out extremely tart, tasting like undiluted cordial!

Back