Adding Fruit to a Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_dwiz

Reaction score
So I want to add some Rasberries and lime to a wheat beer that is fermenting. I have frozen raspberries (from the store) and like juice. Do I need to soak these in vodka for a period of time to sanitize? And how much is a good amount for 5 gallons?

I boiled raspberries for short time (few minutes) and gave it into the secondary..

It was like 1kg per 10litres. It tourned out great. I wouldn't change anything.

If frozen fruit is used, you shouldn't have to do anything but thaw and add

So I want to add some Rasberries and lime to a wheat beer that is fermenting. I have frozen raspberries (from the store) and like juice. Do I need to soak these in vodka for a period of time to sanitize? And how much is a good amount for 5 gallons?

Not sure if this will help, but if you have a late addition of hops with your wheat, then you may want to wait till your next batch. Since the late addition may change the flavor you are striving for.

Do I add it to primary? Secondary? Right before bottling?

It's been fermenting for a week, still fairly vigorously.

Last edited:
Primary. Let sit for a few weeks, to taste. You would only need a secondary to clarify the beer, but you shouldn't need one if you're using a bottling bucket to bottle. I suggest raspberries in the primary, and lime juice to taste in the bottling bucket right before packaging, so as to avoid the bright, lime flavor getting lost in any secondary fermentation the raspberries might start up.

Latest posts

Back