Adding flavoring or extract (hazelnut)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

word

Reaction score
A friend just got me into homebrewing, and is helping me brew my first beer. We just moved it into secondary today. Looks and smells great so far!
I'm following a recipe I found online for a hazelnut brown ale. The recipe calls for hazelnut flavoring, which is to be added right before bottling, so I still have some time. The problem is I'm having a hard time finding the right one. I found hazelnut extract at a Shoprite near my girlfriend's, but this is not the same thing as flavoring. I'm sure you know that extract contains alcohol. My first question is if it is okay to use extract instead of flavoring and/or what difference would it make (obviously increase alcohol content?).

I found flavoring online, but only 2 places that currently have it in stock: one doesn't list ingredients, the other does (which has me skeptical of the first) and contains propylene glycol. I've read that this can diminish the head in the beer. I personally like a large head, so this is a negative for me. Is this true?

TLDR;
what is the difference in effect between using a propylene glycol based flavoring or alcohol based extract for hazelnut flavor?

Thanks! =]

Latest posts

Back