Adding flavor to beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rel322

Reaction score
I've been looking for a Blackberry Witbier recipe all over. I've found a couple but I also found others (Normal Witbier, Blood Orange, Blue Moon Clone [not sure if blue moon is a really a witbier]).

But I'm wondering, can I just add blackberries to a witbier recipe? (blackberry witbier recipe seems to lack orange peel and coriander, which seems to be staple ingredients in the rest of the recipes.)

If so, how much should I add and when?

Yes, you can just use a basic witbier as a base. Brew the beer normally and ferment it out. Once fermentation is finished, put frozen blackberries in a second vessel and rack the beer onto them. How much to add will depend on how fruity you want it. I did 1.5# of mixed berries in an american wheat once. I thought it was far, far too fruity for my taste, but my wife didn't think I added enough.

I did the same as mentioned above. Wait until you're positive fermentation is complete, then just rack into another bucket onto the berries. I used cherries in a wheat beer. Left it for about a week and then bottled as normal. Turned out really good. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back