Adding Extract to hit 1.100

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete20

Reaction score
I'm an all grain brewer, but I want to brew a high gravity 10% beer, and am hitting the capacity limits of my mash tun. I can do a 1.060 or maybe a 1.070 beer, but after that things start getting difficult.

I was thinking of just adding 5-6 lbs of extract to give me that little boost over the cliff and would like to see what others think. Will the extract hurt the flavor, or will the 25 or so lbs of grain make it irrelevant (9 gallon batch)? I batch sparge so what about combining two first runnings and just tossing the grain after one lauter (or keeping for a session beer)?

I think you would have better luck adding sugar to the mix like you would with a Belgian.

I made an old ale years ago in which I added 3lbs of extra light DME to a 15lb gain bill to up the gravity beyond the limits of my equipment. It worked great for me with no off flavors from the extract.

Latest posts

Back