Adding extra hops to Pale Ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBill

Reaction score
I bought a budget Pale Ale kit from Austin Homebrew, it came with 1 pack of 1oz Chinook and 1oz of Cluster. I was thinking about adding some more, I have a pack of Cascade, Citra, and Simcoe l had bought.
I was wanting to add some to hopefully improve the hop taste in my brew. Does anybody have any suggestions of which hops to ad and what times? I was thinking about dry hopping, maybe with the citra.
These are all pellets.

Thanks

You really cannot go wrong adding any (or all) of those hops to the beer. Cascade has been the old standby for many many years. Simcoe will be pretty piney which a lot of people like in pales and IPAs. Citra will be more citrusy and tropical.

I think it would be delicious to add all three in as a dry hop for a week or two.

Happy Brewing!

Ok well I'm gonna try the following:
1 oz simcoe -60 min
1 oz citra - 30 min
1 oz cluster10 min
1oz cascade 5 min
The ibu calculator says it'll have a 67.01 ibu rating which should be pretty hoppy I think.
Any comments/suggestions? Probably gonna start this afternoon

I read the chinook has a smoky flavor which I didn't know would blend well with the characteristics of the other beers. But I don't really know anything!

Maybe I could take a little of the 3 c's and dry hop?

If you are looking for the flavors of the hops to come through you will need to add them later in the boil. So in your recipe, the simcoe piney-ness will be lost and you will only perceive bitterness. Same goes to a lesser extent for the addition of citra. If you are not interested in the cluster hops, I would suggest using them as a bittering addition.

Ok, I was just thinking since the simcoe had the most alpha acids it needed to go in for the longest
I'll use the chinook for bittering
Thanks

I would add all the Cluster at 60. Then do half the Simcoe and half the Chinook at 15, then half the Cascade and half the Citra at either 5 mins or at flameout. Then dry hop with the remaining two ounces. That will give you around 50 IBUs, quite bitter for a pale but still pretty drinkable, and a ton of late hop flavor.

**** well I did it a little differently. I added 1oz of the chinook at 60, them .5 oz of the simcoe at 30 and 15 min. And .5 oz of the cascade at 10 and 5 mins. And I'm gonna dry hop with 1oz of the citra in a couple of weeks.
The ibu calc said it would be 56.44. Plus I added my extract late so I think it bitters it a little more. Hopefully it tastes ok, smelled great. Final gravity was 1.052

Back