Adding dry hops with no secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DArsenault

Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new to brewing and am about to brew the Black IPA kit from morebeer. I was reading over the instructions/ingredients and it mentions that there are three types of dry hops which they say should be added for 3-7 days during secondary fermentation. Based off some things I've read here, I will be going with an extended primary and just bottle after that, rather than doing a secondary. My question is, would there be any issue doing it this way as opposed to adding them during a secondary? How long into the fermentation should I wait to add them? Would it be better to do add them in the last few days before bottling, since I'm assuming once they're in you can't take them out?
Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm new here, but this website is an incredible resource. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute when I get some more experience under my belt.

3-7 days before bottling, in your primary. Put them into a small hops bag and stick them in your primary after the main fermentation is finished. Let them sit in there for 3-7 days, then remove.

Thanks for the quick response. When you say remove do you mean to remove the hop bag? Or just drain the brew when about to bottle?

I always do an extended primary, and I do brew alot of IPA's. I just add my dry hop pellets a week before kegging (or bottling). By the end of the week most of the pellets will have disintegrated and sunk to the bottom. The bits still floating on the top tend to stick to the fermentor sides as the beer level goes down. Cold crashing for a day or two before racking will help alot towards getting the hops to drop out, if you have the ability. Another option is to use a sanitized fine mesh nylon hop sack (I use them for the pellet hops during the brew) with a sanitized stainless steel bolt or something similar to weigh it down. Add the hops to the hop sack, gently lower it in and let it sink in. Keeps the hop gunk in the sack, and lets the flavor and aroma out. Alternatively the hop mesh bag can be secured to the end of your racking cane when racking to your bottling bucket, although the mesh can get plugged up sometimes with that method.

Thanks for the quick response. When you say remove do you mean to remove the hop bag? Or just drain the brew when about to bottle?

I don't use hops bags, but normally you add the dryhops about 5-7 days before packaging. Then, just rack to the bottling bucket and leave the hops behind. It works great!

Back