Adding Dextrose - change in OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
So I brewed this Black IPA sunday that called for 8oz of dextrose in the boil - however I have also read that adding it after primary fermentation is finished can help reach a better attenuation level... so I left it out for now. I am planning to add it after a few days (5? 10?) with the dry hop additions, but my question is about how the OG/SG will change.

My OG was 1.100 without the dextrose. Tell me if I am wrong here, but the dextrose is 1.042 per lb per gallon, so my gravity points to add would be

42 / 2 (8oz, not 16oz) = 21 gravity points per gallon
21 / 5 gallons = 4 gravity points

so my OG/SG with the dextrose is ... 1.100 + 4 = 1.104 ??

Thanks llbean, appreciate the sanity check. I'll buy some shirts from you later.

Dood, you brewed a 1.10 beer? That's going to be some fire water.

Dood, you brewed a 1.10 beer? That's going to be some fire water.

Why? With proper pitching rate, temp control, and yeast selection it should be very nice. That's just an 11% (ish) beer. Plenty of those are very enjoyable and not hot at all.

Well Jim311, the target was 1.095, so I actually only went over by 5 points (9 if you count the dextrose to be added).. 2 packs of safale 05 in a chest freezer at 67 degrees.

Well maybe I'm stylistically challenged here but aren't most IPAs generally 8% or less?

Well maybe I'm stylistically challenged here but aren't most IPAs generally 8% or less?

For a standard IPA, sure. IIPAs are often around 9 (including my favorite homebrew knockoff of enjoy by) IIIPAs are frequently around 11%, but it takes a good brewer to get them dry enough without it being hot. Still, when they do it, it's an amazing beer. Ruinten is often a good example, though I've had a few that were off.

Back