Adding brett toward the end of my fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swem

Reaction score
I bought a vial of white labs brett bruxellensis that is nearing the best buy date and I hate to see it go to waste. I plan to brew a belgian farmhouse ale that I have previously brewed using mangrove jack m27 belgian ale yeast. My question is when to add the brett, the m27 is a HIGHLY attenuative yeast as it is, my last batch finished at 1004. If it started at say 1064 and I added it at 1020 or so would I still get some brett character, or would the m27 just overpower it. If so could I simply cold crash and drop the yeast, then add the brett? It would be my first brett beer so any help would be appreciated. Just looking to add some funk.

Brett doesn't need any remaining sugars to create its flavors. It transforms esters created by sacc into its signature horsey barnyard funk and fruity esters. Not saying that when it is consuming what remaining sugar there is that it doesn't do that too. You're good to go pitching Brett into a beer that's at 1.004. The Brett will still have plenty to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back