*Adding* astringency to a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I made a 15% Belgian Strong with Nelson Sauvin hops that is really dry and white wine-ish (which is what I was looking for). It's a great beer I think, but I'd like just a little more of a white wine character to it, and I think what it's missing is the astringency that wine has. So I was trying to think of ways to add a little bit of astringency to the beer. I don't think I want to try to use any of the brewing "faults" to get there. I was thinking of maybe adding grape skins (or just grapes I guess) to the secondary. Has anyone done this? Do you think it would work?

They sell straight tannin as a wine additive- doesn't get much more astringent than that. I have used some with success in malt beverages (not beer).

white wine isn't typically tannic, are you sure that's what you're thinking of? i'd guess its more the acidity that its missing

+1 on the straight tannin

You could also add some pulp from under the skin of a lemon, or grape skins. But that's the hard way of getting the same effect as the straight tannin addition.

CAREFUL with the straight tannin- it is strong stuff, as you will notice right when you open the bottle. I want to say it is powder from the shell of... walnuts?

You could also add some pulp from under the skin of a lemon, .
Beat me to it. I recently used some lemon zest in a wheat beer (about 2 oz split between flameout and secondary), and there's a noticeable astringency. Not harsh, in fact it works well since I used very little hops. And I used only zest; the rind would be much more astringent.

What was the FG? Too sweet a final gravity could throw off the dry finish you want from a wine-like beer.
Carbonation will add acid and dryness.
Acid would add an astringent quality, as would tannin.

Once i tasted a barrel conditioned geuze and it totally tasted like champagne to me which is basically carbonated wine, you should look into the style.

Back