Adding apples to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8dannyB2

Reaction score
Wanted to brew an Apple-Cinnamon Brown Ale for the fall. I have a plan to add the apples to the secondary but just wanted some thoughts/feedback. My plan was to peel and core 3lbs or so of apples. I want to cook them in a bit of apple cider instead of water @160 F for about 15 minutes. Adding some spices, cinnamon, brown sugar etc. Do I need to worry about any bacteria at that point? Will I have to worry about over flow with the reactivation of the yeast?

8dannyB2 said:
Wanted to brew an Apple-Cinnamon Brown Ale for the fall. I have a plan to add the apples to the secondary but just wanted some thoughts/feedback. My plan was to peel and core 3lbs or so of apples. I want to cook them in a bit of apple cider instead of water @160 F for about 15 minutes. Adding some spices, cinnamon, brown sugar etc. Do I need to worry about any bacteria at that point? Will I have to worry about over flow with the reactivation of the yeast?

Why not use an unfiltered apple cider instead of apples? I use Publix brand to make my ciders and I'm pretty sure they sell a spiced variety. No additives and its already been pasteurized. FWIW the gravity of Publix cider is 1.050.

I thought about doing that. But I didn't want it to be to "cidery" if that makes any sense. Was just looking for a nice apple flavor. If I did do the cider, how much should I use for a 5 gal batch? Also I figured doing the apples would give me the opportunity to spice them. Using the cider, would I be able to do that in secondary without worrying about contamination?

8dannyB2 said:
I thought about doing that. But I didn't want it to be to "cidery" if that makes any sense. Was just looking for a nice apple flavor. If I did do the cider, how much should I use for a 5 gal batch? Also I figured doing the apples would give me the opportunity to spice them. Using the cider, would I be able to do that in secondary without worrying about contamination?

To be honest I don't know if adding cider or even apples would make it cidery or give you the flavor your after. Or how much to add either. Never attempted an apple beer but Ive thought about that exact same question and how to get the right flavor. If you do use a cider I'd use a spiced cider since its already pasteurized so you don't have to add anything and risk contamination. If you go with apples spiced yourself I'd put them in a blender with some whisky or rum to kill any nastys on em before adding them to the secondary.
Another option is to buy some apple flavoring extract and use it at bottling. I wouldn't do it... but its and option. Whatever you go with you should post back some results.

Thanks for the input. I'll definitely consider using the cider. Hoping I get the chance to brew it next weekend. I'll definitely let you know how it turned out.

Brew day is tomorrow and I'm pumped. Decided I'm gonna add a gallon of pasteurized apple cider to secondary along with a cinnamon stick and let that sit for about two weeks. So I'll get back to you in about 3 weeks or so and let you know how it's coming along. Thanks for all the input. Cheers

Has anyone successfully used frozen aj conc. at bottling as the priming sugar?

8dannyB2 said:
Brew day is tomorrow and I'm pumped. Decided I'm gonna add a gallon of pasteurized apple cider to secondary along with a cinnamon stick and let that sit for about two weeks. So I'll get back to you in about 3 weeks or so and let you know how it's coming along. Thanks for all the input. Cheers

Best of luck... I hope to hear good results.

sixt3 said:
Has anyone successfully used frozen aj conc. at bottling as the priming sugar?

Can't say I have, at least for beer, but that's an interesting idea.

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested. I just kegged my Apple Cinnamon Brown Ale. And I'm tasting a bit of it now after my FG reading. And I must say for my very first brew, it turned out pretty friggin good. Nice subtle apple flavor up front form the cider I added in secondary, followed by a hint of the cinnamon and finishes with a nice hoppy bite to remind you you're drinking a beer. Can't wait to taste this one once its cold and carbonated.

8dannyB2 said:
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested. I just kegged my Apple Cinnamon Brown Ale. And I'm tasting a bit of it now after my FG reading. And I must say for my very first brew, it turned out pretty friggin good. Nice subtle apple flavor up front form the cider I added in secondary, followed by a hint of the cinnamon and finishes with a nice hoppy bite to remind you you're drinking a beer. Can't wait to taste this one once its cold and carbonated.

Thanks for the update and congrats!

Back