Adding Ancho Peppers to a Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCasey1992

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for ideas on adding peppers to a beer...

First, a little background. Growing up in Texas, one of my favorite desserts was Ancho fudge chili pie from the restaurant Z Tejas. Basically it's chocolate cake with Ancho peppers added. Rather than adding spice, the Anchos seem to cut the sweetness from the chocolate. Delicious!

Fast forward to today and I want to replicate that in a beer. I'm thinking about making a porter with a cacao nibs tincture and of course, Ancho peppers. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way to add the peppers to achieve my desired flavor profile? Like the dessert mentioned above, I don't want an overly spicy beer. Just a nice mellow pepper kick to compliment the chocolate.

I already have a mason jar full of dried Ancho peppers soaking in vodka. I was thinking i could add a little bit at a time as a tincture when i package the beer but am open to other suggestions. I have another bag of dried Ancho peppers currently sitting in my pantry. Would i be better off using these to "dry pepper" the beer or should I use them at another stage in the brewing process? Maybe the boil? A combination of different methods? How much of the anchos would you use? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help! Cheers!

Back