Adding adjuncts at primary fermenter? Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPBeer

Reaction score
Hi. I'm planning to brew a adjunct stout, and it's my second time with this style. Last time, I racked my RIS to secondary fermentation loaded with chocolate, cinnamon, and coffee. Even thought the beer didn't had any serious oxidation problems, I wonder if I can add them at my primary fermenter like dry hopping these days. So here is my schedule in plan.

Day 0 : Add the wort to fermenter with vanilla.
Day 14 : Add chocolate, coffee.
Day 15 : Bottle.

I think the only benefit from racking is that I can put my adjuncts under the wort so it gets mixed better(?) and I don't need to worry about the yeast cake.

However, my secondary fermenter is just as same as my primary fermenter, plastic bucket with lots of headspaces. So it would be really nice if I can just age everything in my primary. Wondering what you guys think. Thanks.

Will work can even stir it all in. Maybe leave the chocolate for 2 days, add gelatin to clear after 1 day. Then transfer to bottle/keg.

I do secondary only for specifig additions, mostly for ciders. Just did a ginger cyser, added hibiscus at secondary. Didn't want the flowers sitting on the yeast, although probably not necessary. Same goes for fruit, if i have a delicate or looking for a little residual sugar, I'll transfer to reduce the yeast population.

"Adjuncts" are unmalted grains or other fermentable sugars, so I don't see any adjuncts here. I just kegged a beer with flaked corn, flaked rice, and flaked wheat, so I used three different adjuncts. You want to mash any adjuncts with the mash.

For other ingredients added to the beer, you can add them in the secondary or the primary fermenter if you're careful to avoid splashing and other oxidation risks (like stirring).

ad·junct
ˈaˌjəNGkt/
noun
  1. 1.
    a thing added to something else as a supplementary rather than an essential part.

I understand that adjunct has a specific meaning in brewing, but in a literal sense chocolate/cinnamon/whatever are also adjuncts.

Super old thread so sorry to resurrect. Im using the Fermzilla all rounder to pressure ferment for the 1st time. I brewed a classic cream ale and will be adding coffee and vanilla beans. I typically rack to secondary when doing fruit additions but Im now thinking I would like to just add the coffee and vanilla to primary in the all rounder? Anyone see any issue with this? I was planning on soaking 2 beans in vodka and 4 oz of cracked whole coffee beans. Maybe leave them in for 5 days till cold crashing and kegging. Any thoughts? Cheers, Erik

In my experience, coffee flavor and aroma can develop quite quickly when "dry beaning," like 36 hours or so, so I might rethink leaving them in there for 7 days if you are trying to get more delicate/fruity coffee flavors. Vanilla you can definitely leave for a week though.

thanks for the tip! I'm gonna just give the coffee 24 hours in the cold crash and see how that tastes...you can always add more right!

I did whole coffee beans for 2 days. More than enough time. Great flavor without color (if that matters to you).

Back