Adding a spigot to a cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InLimbo

Reaction score
So, I have a vintage Coleman rectangular cooler that I have calculated to hold just over 6.5 gallons (please feel free to double check my math: inside dimensions 17" long, 9" wide, 10" deep, conservatively). I want to get into all grain, so I am thinking this thing would be perfect. I was just wondering, how easy is it to add a spigot to these things? I did a brief search, but didn't find any DIYs. Before I head off to HD, I just wanted to ask here to see if I could get any recommendations. Thanks!

Remove the spigot.

Measure the diameter of the hole. If its 7/8" then you need 1/2" NPT nipple, washers and other parts.

Measure how thick the wall is at the hole.
Anything less than 1/4" thick you can use a close (fully threaded) nipple. If its around a 1/2" thick, you will need a nipple that 1.5" long.

The other parts will depend on how you will hook up and form the seal.

I have an install guide that covers kegs and coolers to give you an idea of the parts involved in a weldless set: Install Guide

DIY-Project. Pretty much the same set up no matter what kind of cooler you have. I would recommend getting a weldless set up from either of the two posts above instead of chaseing down the parts yourself.

+1 on buying everything in one central location. I just purchased mine from BargainFittings, works great, and shipped super fast.

Remove the spigot.

Measure the diameter of the hole. If its 7/8" then you need 1/2" NPT nipple, washers and other parts.

Measure how thick the wall is at the hole.
Anything less than 1/4" thick you can use a close (fully threaded) nipple. If its around a 1/2" thick, you will need a nipple that 1.5" long.

The other parts will depend on how you will hook up and form the seal.

I have an install guide that covers kegs and coolers to give you an idea of the parts involved in a weldless set: Install Guide

Hey thanks for the reply. I guess I forgot to mention that this cooler is so old, that there is actually no spigot yet. I am going to have to drill my own hole. I guess this is a good thing, because I can drill the correct size. Is 7/8" the size you would recommend? I will definitely be following your install guide. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Coolers are easy to drill.

1/2" NPT nipples are .840" outer diameter on the non threaded portion.

7/8" hole saw will work.

Drill outside in and go slow. I usually will run the hole saw in until it pierces the inner wall and then reverse the drill and drill outward to cut the inner wall. You could run it all the way through in one shot too. I find it easier to control how the hole saw cut the wall if I can see it cutting the plastic.

The insulation is easy to clean up.

Latest posts

Back