Adding a Fan to the Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in
Wanted to know what you all are using for a fan in the kegerator?
Where and how you attach it?

Bottom is warmer then the top for One, Secondly the exhaust from the freezer part that lets cold air in to the fridge part, is freezing my liquid lines that are atop of my kegs.... I was thinking about using a small fan there to distribute.

I assume an A/C fan but the light socket is only good when open... Where are you hopping on for always circulating? OR is there a better way then what I am thinking?

Attachments

• lines freeze.jpg
    lines freeze.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
Yeah those are plug in fans alright. But for a guy who does not want a cord sticking out of the gasket and door.... I wanted to hard wire it inside.
I am leaning towards a muffin fan, 120V tie it to the light bulb hot source, ground it instead of the other side of the light bulb since that is attached to the switch leg of door actuator.

I was wondering if anyone had a certain fan that they used to hop onto the blower fan or something like that? We shall see.
I have a computer fan but it is 12v DC and do not know where to tie that in, be great since it sips electricity.
Thanks for the suggestions just the same.

My kegerator had one built it. It has a hose that connects to the face of the housing that goes up the tower. You might be able to hardwire one into the electrical box if you are able .

I bought a muffin fan that is 120v 50/60 hz and is about 18 watts. I was going to tie it up with the fan in the freezer. Any thoughts on the larger draw on that relay?

Optimally, the fan should run 24/7. You could bypass the door switch and wire the fan to the interior light...

Cheers!
So I was going to jump on the hot side of the bulb and find another ground instead of tying it to the freezer fan. But I thought that might be an energy drain or ?? Thanks Trippr appreciate the input

imo, 18 watts is a small price to pay for a quality pour.

I'm assuming there's a condenser fan on your kegerator, but that's only going to run while the compressor is running. Better to hack the light circuit...

Cheers!

Will do, ordered one already. Fridge does not want to come down below 40ºf and has been a bit higher. I took the Thermistor off the top and pointed it down below the back of the kegs, hoping that will help with the fan

If the thermostat and wiring harness are accessible inside the cabinet (under a cover), you can find a constant hot fairly easily. At a minimum there will be one at the thermostat itself (turn temp as warm as possible and measure while compressor is off), and one that goes to the door switch. Any of the constant voltage lines are going to be off the line voltage and not running through a relay (not that 18W/.15A would hurt an any case).

All that being said, if your not able to get it down to temp at all, a circulation fan isn’t likely to help. Sounds like you may have some fridge issues to contend with first.....

If the thermostat and wiring harness are accessible inside the cabinet (under a cover), you can find a constant hot fairly easily. At a minimum there will be one at the thermostat itself (turn temp as warm as possible and measure while compressor is off), and one that goes to the door switch. Any of the constant voltage lines are going to be off the line voltage and not running through a relay (not that 18W/.15A would hurt an any case).

All that being said, if your not able to get it down to temp at all, a circulation fan isn’t likely to help. Sounds like you may have some fridge issues to contend with first.....
Fan is here, fridge is down to 36, but going to hook fan anyways, bought and delivered. IT was an 8w 60hz not 18. I'm gonna tie it into the freezer fan so it kicks off when it does, I Just want to pull the freezer air and circulate better. I do not think 8w is going have an affect on the relay that kicks on and off.
The best improvement was moving the thermistor from being tied to the top of the fridge in the light bulb plastic chassis they all have, and to run it down the back behind the coils of liquid lines atop of the kegs... the fan is going to draw off that freezer air vent and pus h it down. The lines were frosting and getting a false reading from the kegs so high. Thanks for the input

Attachments

• fridge vent.jpg
    fridge vent.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 84
  • fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 87
Have you thought about installing a toggle switch ? You could turn it on and off as you want . If the beer isnt ready to be tapped I turn my fan off since I dont need it to keep the tower cool. That fan should work well .

Have you thought about installing a toggle switch ? You could turn it on and off as you want . If the beer isnt ready to be tapped I turn my fan off since I dont need it to keep the tower cool. That fan should work well .
All done. Tied it up to the freezer fan, it will turn off when the fridge says it's fine and during defrost. 3 kegs there is always one in there ready... Thanks for the thought.

It rocks! 50 minutes according to post time stamp- took the fridge from 50 to 34, normally that was overnight. Albeit the kegs were 40 before dismantle and wire job. I recommend it. 8 watts will prob save me money since it does not have to be on forever to get under 40

Update, I was reminded of this thread and thought to update. The fridge is hardly on any more with the fan. Before every time through out the day and eve I'd check to see if it was on and what kind of temp movement I was getting. Honestly before the fan It was on most of the day and seemed to not move off of 40. Now I can hardly catch it running (there is a joke in there) and it is sitting on 35-36º f. Prob saving money adding the 8 watts.

Unless you actually instrument the system this could be simple sampling error :)

Totally fwiw: Here are two charts from my keezer. The first one is pretty typical of the ideal state: turns on ~ 5 times per day for ~50 minutes.
The second shows the keg I'm using to control the compressor is running low - the system is up to 6 cycles per day though ambient hasn't changed much at all. I'll move the probe over to the fullest keg tomorrow...

keezer_temps_06aug2019_02,jpg.jpg

keezer_temps_30aug2019_01.jpg

Cheers!

Unless you actually instrument the system this could be simple sampling error :)

Totally fwiw: Here are two charts from my keezer. The first one is pretty typical of the ideal state: turns on ~ 5 times per day for ~50 minutes.
The second shows the keg I'm using to control the compressor is running low - the system is up to 6 cycles per day though ambient hasn't changed much at all. I'll move the probe over to the fullest keg tomorrow...

View attachment 642160

View attachment 642161

Cheers!

Sweet!

View attachment 642160

View attachment 642161

Cheers!
A deviation from your example and my application is that you have a Keezer, a sealed Freezer that does not draw air from another source to maintain a temp. In my application, I have a top freezer, where the fan blows a bit of air down into the fridge through to small holes. My application now is able to draw more air from the freezer area into the fridge through those holes. Where my fridge is now cooler quicker, faster and not freezing my lines due to (see pics post #13)

Back