Added Yeast I Didn’t Need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
So long story short my Tilt was giving inaccurate readings and I thought I had a stalled fermentation so I pitched another pack of yeast. I took a good old fashion reading with a hydrometer and turns out it’s sitting right at FG. I need to dry hop but I am wondering if I need to get if off that yeast I just pitched. Should I transfer to a secondary or is it ok with that extra yeast? Am I risking yeasty off flavor by leaving on there to dry hop for 3-4 days?

Last edited:
So long story short my Tilt was giving inaccurate readings and I thought I had a stalled fermentation so I pitched another pack of yeast. I took a good old fashion reading with a hydrometer and turns out it’s sitting right at FG. I need to dry hop but I am wondering if I need to get if off that yeast I just pitched. Should I transfer to a secondary or is it on with that extra yeast? Am I risking yeast my off flavor by leaving on there to dry hop for 3-4 days?

I would just leave the beer alone for a few days. The new yeast will drop out of suspension when it finds there is no sugar to eat.

I would wait to dry hop as the yeast in suspension might carry some hop oil with it when it flocculates.

No need to get it off the yeast - the yeast you just pitched is minimal compared with what's already in there. Personally, I dry hop when there is still some slow fermentation activity rather than waiting. You can go ahead and dry hop now, or wait a few days.

Back