Added blackberries, fermentation restarted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
So this is my first attempt at adding fruit to my beer and I have done some searches but it seems that the advice is all over the place so I'm looking for some fresh suggestions.

I added blackberries to my blonde ale as fermentation stopped (OG 1.046 and FG 1.010) 48 hours ago. Today many of them have floated to the top and there is new activity in the airlock.

I was kind of hoping the fermentation wouldn't pick back up with the fruit sugars since I had carefully racked over to a carboy leaving behind most of the firmly packed nottingham yeast at the bottom... Obviously that was wishful thinking.

Should I add a campden tablet (never used them, would need to buy some tomorrow)? Cold crash it? Leave it alone? Do something else?

The blackberries were picked fresh, washed, frozen, then added to the beer a few days later (I have read that the alcohol in the beer would most likely keep the nasties out, maybe that was a mistake too?)

I'm also reading that the blackberries will make it tart and adding sugar is an option to offset this...

Any advice is appreciated. Help me save my beer! :)

Even with the cake gone, theres plenty of yeast floating around. How else could you bottle carb? I wouldn't worry about restarting the fermentation. Taste often and let it finish. If you find you like it earlier, do it again and bottle early. Just use the bottle pasteurization method found in the cider section.

Ah, well even easier! If you like it earlier in the process the tablet would work and then force carb as normal. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Back