Add specialty grain post fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
I have a beer I want to brew but am waiting for a specialty grain I want to use.
Not wanting to wait I'm thinking of brewing then doing a steep and short boil when I get the missing grain and adding that to the carboy.
I think it's okay to do but would like opinions.

If it's a steeping grain like a Crystal malt, yeah, I don't see any reason not to.
I pasteurize the wort at 150-160F for 10' for all security, less time at higher temps.

You may miss out on some kettle reactions by not boiling it for an hour. But they're likely a small %, so it's doubtful you'd ever notice.

Many specialty grains, however, need to be mashed with a diastatic malt to get the goodness out of them. Such as Biscuit malts, Melanoidins, etc.

If it's a steeping grain like a Crystal malt, yeah, I don't see any reason not to.
I pasteurize the wort at 150-160F for 10' for all security, less time at higher temps.

You may miss out on some kettle reactions by not boiling it for an hour. But they're likely a small %, so it's doubtful you'd ever notice.

Many specialty grains, however, need to be mashed with a diastatic malt to get the goodness out of them. Such as Biscuit malts, Melanoidins, etc.
It's a honey malt type. And I'm only going for a short boil, maybe no-boil.

Ideally, Honey Malt needs to be mashed, but just steeping may get you something that's close enough. It's related to Brumalt and Melanoidin Malt.

Maybe mini-mash with an equal amount of 2-row for 30 minutes at 150-156F? Lauter, sparge, then give it a quick boil or pasteurize.

I used to do mini-mashes in a large (1 or 2 gallon) pot put in a warm oven. Strain (lauter) and "Nachlauf" through a sieve. Nachlauf being the opposite of Vorlauf, by pouring all the captured wort/sediment through the grain heap a couple times to clarify.

Ideally, Honey Malt needs to be mashed, but just steeping may get you something that's close enough. It's related to Brumalt and Melanoidin Malt.

Maybe mini-mash with an equal amount of 2-row for 30 minutes at 150-156F? Lauter, sparge, then give it a quick boil or pasteurize.

I used to do mini-mashes in a large (1 or 2 gallon) pot put in a warm oven. Strain (lauter) and "Nachlauf" through a sieve. Nachlauf being the opposite of Vorlauf, by pouring all the captured wort/sediment through the grain heap a couple times to clarify.
I do have some maris otter I can use.

I do have some maris otter I can use.
Sounds like a plan. You can withhold the extra grain from your main mash so your gravity isn't impacted. But 8 oz of Honey malt in a 5 gallon batch is probably plenty. 12+ oz starts getting into special effects.

I often add syrups, even extra wort to fermenters, toward the end of fermentation. Especially for syrups I prefer it over adding in the beginning.

Sounds like a plan. You can withhold the extra grain from your main mash so your gravity isn't impacted. But 8 oz of Honey malt in a 5 gallon batch is probably plenty. 12+ oz starts getting into special effects.

I often add syrups, even extra wort to fermenters, toward the end of fermentation. Especially for syrups I prefer it over adding in the beginning.
It's a two gallon batch and I'm going 6-8 ozs.

Back