add some new yeast at bottle time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpseaton

Reaction score
I've seen this in the post a couple of different times. How you you go about doing this? (pitch a new starter) and what benefit does this give to bottling your beer?

Usually it's not recommended or necessary. The only times I can think of that it would be worth doing is when either you've used an extremely flocculant yeast and let it sit for a long time (like maybe doing a lager), or if you made an extremely high ABV beer and might have overstressed the yeast.

I did add a pinch of fresh yeast when I bottled my last lager, because I lagered it at 34 degrees for months and the beer was super clear. But I added maybe 1/4 of a package to my priming solution, dissolved it and then racked my beer into it.

There is no benefit to pitching yeast at bottling. It is actually to correct for things that you may have done early in the process. If you haven't let your brew set for an exceptionally long time or let if get very cold there isn't a reason to add yeast.

Latest posts

Back