Add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Hey--my last batch (a bourbon oak-aged imperial stout) came out really nicely, with one caveat. It did not carbonate beyond a slight hiss when I open a bottle. I primed appropriately. My only thought is that for a few days, I placed the secondary carboy in cold water to drop the temp, which had jumped in my apartment. Perhaps I shocked the yeast? Well, in that same tub of cold water was my secondary of Belgian Tripel. I am wondering if I might encounter the same problem and whether or not I should add some dry yeast to the bottling bucket (started?). It's been in the secondary for about 6 weeks now. The stout was in the secondary a month. Any thoughts?

i had a batch of scottish ale(around 8%abv) that would not carbonate beyond a slight hiss on opening.
after that i have always added 1/3 pack of rehydrated lavlin ec1118 yeast to my bottling bucket as it tolerates higher abv.
i have been told that this champagne yeast may ferment farther than the original yeast used for the beer and could cause bottle bombs.
so far(around 12 batches) no problems

Thanks for the info. I wonder if standard dried yeast (ie, Nottingham) would work to carbonate...I don't want a heavily carbonated Tripel.

as long as your abv isn't higher than nottingham can take(i think its around 8-10%) it will work fine. i use the champagne yeast because its good up to around 15-18%

Latest posts

Back