Add 4g Calcium chrolride and 4 of gypsum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairdo

Reaction score
Based on this chart and after plugging the numbers into the Palmer residual alkalinity spreadsheet (found here) I deduced I should/would/could add 4 gr of calcium chrolride and 4 of calcium sulphate (gypsum) to 18L of mash water to brew the EPIC pale ale clone - EBC 18, SRM 9.4)

residual-alkalinity-chart-63404.jpg

Any thoughts? Btw. This is my first go at playing with water science.

For one thing, you haven't told us what your starting water is...

For another, a lot of the water information from earlier on is antiquated or has been rethought. I advise you to take a look first at the water primer sticky at the top of this forum subsection and I will tell you that Palmer has adjusted his views on water as time has gone by and is currently embracing pretty much the way the water primer tells you to handle your water.

For one thing, you haven't told us what your starting water is...

For another, a lot of the water information from earlier on is antiquated or has been rethought. I advise you to take a look first at the water primer sticky at the top of this forum subsection and I will tell you that Palmer has adjusted his views on water as time has gone by and is currently embracing pretty much the way the water primer tells you to handle your water.

residual-alkalinity-chart_snip-63405.jpg

And yep I've read the primer sticky too.

residual-alkalinity-chart_snip-63405.jpg

And yep I've read the primer sticky too.

Your starting water is the above? And you added 4 grams of both CaSo4 and CaCl2?

Throw away that very old chart, and just look at the amount of each you have. If that is indeed your water, when I have time I can calculate it.

Your starting water is the above? And you added 4 grams of both CaSo4 and CaCl2?

Throw away that very old chart, and just look at the amount of each you have. If that is indeed your water, when I have time I can calculate it.

I haven't added anything yet but that is the intention for my next brew. But yes that's the water coming out of the tap here (or close to it). That water will then be filtered through a carbon filter. Then would add any additions.

Here is the actual water report I used from 2013.
Note: I understand that 'Calcium hardness' is in fact CaCO3 ppm.

Page 26 - http://www.watercare.co.nz/SiteCollectionDocuments/AllPDFs/2013 Annual Water Quality Report.pdf

thumb2_hui_water-63406.jpg

I got the impression you thought something is unusual about the water profile? The tap water in Auckland, NZ is all rain water collected in reservoirs. Btw thanks for helping out :)

I guessed on the grain bill, but my calcs (using Bru'N water) suggest that for 17L of mash water, you could add:

8.5g gypsum
1.7g calcium chloride
1.7g baking soda

and wind up with:

Ca 148
SO4 287
Cl 59

mash pH ~5.4 (again, just guessing on your grain bill)

I guessed on the grain bill, but my calcs (using Bru'N water) suggest that for 17L of mash water, you could add:

8.5g gypsum
1.7g calcium chloride
1.7g baking soda

and wind up with:

Ca 148
SO4 287
Cl 59

mash pH ~5.4 (again, just guessing on your grain bill)

Cheers, I'll check out Bru'N Water.

Batch Size: 30 L
6 kg Gladfields Pale Ale
750 g Light Crystal 23L
500 g Pale Crystal 40L
250 g German - Carapils

10 g Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 75 min
20 g Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 30 min
46 g Cascade Pellet 7 Boil 10 min
58 g Cascade Pellet 7 Whirlpool at 99 °C 20 min
58 g Cascade Pellet 7 Whirlpool at 95 °C 10 min

Back