Active RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
Brewed a batch of RIS from a Brewers Best kit late Sunday. Airlock activity started within 4 hours. I went to work on Monday, and during the day, I read all the posts about violent fermentations and the need for a blowoff hose. I had visions of an exploding fermentation bucket all over my home office, which is where the beer was fermenting. When I got home, the airlock was overflowing with foam, and the bucket looked as though it was about to blow right through my ceiling. I carefully carried it down to the basement, and removed the airlock, releasing CO2 and more foam. Fortunately, I had some 1/2 inch clear tubing on hand, and after sanitizing everything, I was able to rig up a blowoff hose into a bucket of Starsan. It was cool to watch the pressure build up and blowoff into the bucket, like it was alive. This morning, it was still chugging away. Hopefully it tastes good down the road.:mug:

Four hours seems pretty fast to start seeing airlock activity. Are what temperature did you pitch the yeast? I'm not saying you did something wrong, I'm just curious.

It sounds like you got to the primary before the airlock blew off. Good grab.

Four hours seems pretty fast to start seeing airlock activity. Are what temperature did you pitch the yeast? I'm not saying you did something wrong, I'm just curious.

It sounds like you got to the primary before the airlock blew off. Good grab.

I pitched at 72 F. I was real lucky, another hour and I would be painting the room again.

Latest posts

Back