Activating WYEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orchidbeer

Reaction score
I plan on brewing my first batch on Wednesday (Caribou Slobber). I will be using WYEAST 1332, which is now refrigerated. Should I leave it warm to room temp before activating or activate it and leave it longer before pitching?

TIA, Joe

Activate it several hours up to 24 hours before you plan to pitch the yeast and leave it on the counter. Ideally, you want to see the package swell before you pitch it.

Are you not making a starter? I would check with either the Mr. Malty site or yeastcalc.com to see what size starter is advisable. The little nutrient pack is just to proof the yeast. It is NOT a starter or anything like one. Depending on the package age, even the proofing could take some time. If its fairly fresh, then not as much.

It's only a 1.052 beer, I wouldn't bother with a starter unless the yeast is old or doesn't seem active.

Back