Acid addition, first or last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhog

Reaction score
I am prepping my water for a brew tomorrow and while doing it, too late I might add, I remembered recently reading that you should add your water salts fist and then add acid last. I don't remember where I read it, maybe the BA water book, but I always have added acid first. Anyone have any insight on this? Should I starting adding acid after the salts?

Me either, although that's actually my method, as I make up the salt additions the evening before brew days, and add the acids directly after.
I heat my strike liquor in the BK and sparge liquor in the HLT and have Bru'n Water set the split additions...

Cheers!

I feel the same way, can't matter too much. Hopefully I will remember where I saw it at some point.

Makes no sense to me. Salts and acids/bases aren't going to react with each other and if you're adding both acids and bases they're going to react no matter how and when you add them...

I wonder if there's some confusion here between physically adding the salts and acid, versus plugging them into a water calculator (eg. Bru'n water)? With a calculator, you 'add' salts first to desired taste, then work out how much acid is needed to hit a desired mash pH .

Back