Achieving desired BIAB OG questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundbrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I recently got back into the brewing world and whipped up an extract batch w/ specialty grains 2 weeks ago, working out the rough patches of my technique in the process (lessons are sometimes best learned the hard way right?). Now with the fever in full force, I wanted to step up to BIAB but had some questions.

Using Brewers Friend, I plugged in the details of my recently ordered cream ale kit from Northern Brewer. With an assumed efficiency of 80%, I set the batch size at 5 gallons, boil size at 6.8 gallons per the following rationale: 1.75 qt / lb of grain (8 lbs total, 14 qts or 3.5 gal), .8 gal for grain absorption, 1 gal for boil off (60 min, 1 gal/hr), and 1.5 gal for top up h20. Total water again = 6.8 gallons.

I'll be honest, I have no clue if this is the right way to input the info. My plan was to mash the 8 lbs of grain at 150 for 60 minutes, mash out at 170 for 10 minutes, squeeze the grain and then go about brewing as normal. I made the assumption that I can add the top up water after the mash is complete with no ill effects...is this going to throw my calculations off? I didn't want the water/grist ratio to be too high (heard that a beer can taste 'thin' if it is...no idea if its true). I know efficiency can increase with a higher ratio, and I certainly have room to up the water amount if I will benefit (8 gal Megapot 1.2).

Long story short, I just want everything to go smooth like everyone does. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

undergroundbrewer

Everyones technique and setup are different, but i always do a thick mash, and then dunk sparge with the remaining water to get to my preboil volume, accounting for grain absorption.. That gives me an efficency around 80-85. Without the dunk sparge i can't get that high, and i wouldn't be able to do the thick mash either. So, i'd use the top up water for sparging instead. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You'll probably have less absorption of water by the grain, too, when you squeeze the bejeezus out of the bag after mashing/dunk sparging. I agree with the top up idea- use that water to sparge and extract more sugars instead.

There is no need to sparge and no downside to full volume BIAB mashes in terms of beer quality. Check out biabrewer.info . PP on there has done plenty if side by side experiments on this. Also in my experience full volume mash doesn't affect beer 'body'

I mash with the right amount of water so that I have the post boil volume right after the mash. Take a gravity reading and then sparge with the top up water if I need a few extra points. Squeeze if needed.
My efficiency is all over the place because I use different grain suppliers/crushers so this method lets me tune things on the fly.

Back