Acetaldehyde rearing it's ugly head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle0226

Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe I have acetaldehyde in my brew.

5/19/11- Brewed 10 gallon batch of pale ale, used a yeast starter on stir plate with two activator packs of 1056 in 3 liters of DME (3 cups of DME)

OG 1.070 (I know it's too high for that style), but my efficiency is getting better and I like stronger beer.

6/2/11- Gravity dropped to 1.022 in primary. No changes in gravity after taking readings for three consecutive days, so decided to add dry yeast to primary. (trying to hit 1.012) Set my temp regulator on fermenter up to save energy while taking gravity reading and never turned it back to 66 degrees (DUHHHH) Primary sat at 80 degrees for 48 hours. Beer tasted good.

-Thinking I might have had a higher than expected FG (1.022) due to new primary fermenter. 14 gallon Tuff Tank does not have round edges.

6/13/11- racked to secondary and noticed a green apple flavor and aroma, probably from killing the yeast with the warm temp.

I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to forgetting to reset my fermenter temp.

Since it's already in the secondary any suggestions on how to fix it?

Unfortunately I believe I have acetaldehyde in my brew.

5/19/11- Brewed 10 gallon batch of pale ale, used a yeast starter on stir plate with two activator packs of 1056 in 3 liters of DME (3 cups of DME)

OG 1.070 (I know it's too high for that style), but my efficiency is getting better and I like stronger beer.

6/2/11- Gravity dropped to 1.022 in primary. No changes in gravity after taking readings for three consecutive days, so decided to add dry yeast to primary. (trying to hit 1.012) Set my temp regulator on fermenter up to save energy while taking gravity reading and never turned it back to 66 degrees (DUHHHH) Primary sat at 80 degrees for 48 hours. Beer tasted good.

-Thinking I might have had a higher than expected FG (1.022) due to new primary fermenter. 14 gallon Tuff Tank does not have round edges.

6/13/11- racked to secondary and noticed a green apple flavor and aroma, probably from killing the yeast with the warm temp.

I think I'm gonna chalk this one up to forgetting to reset my fermenter temp.

Since it's already in the secondary any suggestions on how to fix it?

I would try giving it a LONG secondary, say at least 2-4 months, that should mellow it out some, then bottle and cold condition it(after it carbs up) for another month or two. Just remember everything improves with age!

80F is nowhere near killing yeast. unless you caught a contamination or used too much sugar, the batch probably just needs more time to condition

Back