Ace Pear Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get the recipe for Ace Pear? If not, can anyone tell me how to or where to get Pear juice to make my own form of a pear cider?

Thanks

I haven't tried Ace Pear but I did just finish up a batch of pear cider about 3 weeks ago. I used Knudsen's Pear Juice (it is available at Food Lion chain grocery stores and most Health Food stores). Their juices are 100% juice, pasturized, with nothing else. They have a wide variety of juices too. They are kind of pricey but watch for a sale (not that much more than others).

As for my batch, it was my first non-apple batch and I pitched a champagne yeast, let it go for a week and bottled with a little sugar. I only did a half gallon (just to try it out). I cracked a bottle last night to check for carbonation. It has a great golden color and is very dry (and potent:cross: ). It still needs to age as it is a bit harsh (and hasn't completely cleared). But, the pear taste definitely comes through. I think I would prefer it a bit sweeter so next time I will probably resweeten with some more juice or a little lactose. Hope this helps.

Missing

Cool, thanks so much!! As for the apple ciders, are you just using regular apple juice or apple cider from the cold section in the store?

I've done ciders with frozen concentrate and fresh squeezed. They both work, but fresh has more apple taste at the end.

I have tried a couple of different types. I have used the Knudsen's unfiltered apple cider and Indian Summer Cider. I also made a batch from nothing but concentrate (Old Orchard?) . . . just make sure they are 100% juice with no preservatives (Sorbates or Sulfides). Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) is ok though. My advice is just try whatever you have locally and see how it turns out. Half the fun is the experimenting. Good luck!:)

Missing

Yep, and experiment I did....

Tell me how this sounds:

5 gallons of apple juice (Apple Orchard frozen concentrate 100% juice no preserves )
5 cans of pears in heavy juice ( blended till a thick liquid )
2 lbs of light brown sugar
1 lb of honey
2 lemons zested
English Cider Yeast [SIZE=-1](WLP775)
[/SIZE]

I took the brown sugar and honey and boiled it in about 1.5 gallons of water. Dumped the concentrated juice in the primary along with the blended up pears and then zested the 2 lemons. Once the honey and brown sugar were dissolved, dumped that into the primary. Then added another 4 gallons of water and pitched my yeast. This morning it is just a bubbling away!!!

Thoughts on this recipe????

Sounds pretty good. :D Most of those heavy liquid canned fruits have a lot of sugar in them (not to mention the honey you added) so I would probably cut back on the brown sugar by at least a pound; but that is just a subjective thing. You didn't list it but you might consider adding some yeast nutrient next time. Even without it mine ferment just fine, it just seems to take a lot longer. You will have to let us know how it turns out.

Missing

So you think it will be too sweet with that much brown sugar, or just the alcohol might be way up there? I pitched the yeast about 4:30 yesterday afternoon and it was bubbling away by about 11:30 last night......so it went pretty fast I thought.......

I wouldn't worry about it being too sweet. You will probably end up with a pretty good %ABV but that just means a glass of it goes a little farther. :cross: When you transfer it to secondary, save a sample and taste it. If it is too dry you can always sorbate and then sweeten with some more juice (or concentrate) or forget the sorbate and use Splenda or Lactose.

My first batch started fermenting (similar to yours minus the pears) quickly but took almost three weeks to reach completion. My next couple of batches I added nutrient (and used a starter) and they were done in about four to five days. Either gets you there, it just depends on how much of a hurry you are in. :D

Hope this helps.

Missing

Yep, gonna do a taste test when done...:) I am not in a hurry with this brew as it is going to be for the spring anyways......would you recommend keeping it in secondary in the fridge to cold chill it for maybe a couple of months or just do as normal and rack to secondary, leave till it clears like I want, bottle, let it condition for several weeks then put in the fridge to cold condition?

That is a good question and one I haven't decided on yet. In fact, the two gallons I have in secondary right now I am going to split. One I am going to put in the fridge for the next couple of months (or until the wife tells me otherwise;) ) and the other I am going to condition in secondary until clear, bottle and then cold chill it for a while. Either way, I am sure I am going to end up with something drinkable. :) Good luck, let me know how it comes out (and yes, mine is going to be served at a 1st of spring party also).

Ive done a perry before and it turned out pretty well. I actually got pear juice from an organic food company out of california

Full details of the recipe are Here

it turned out great, it has a nice sweetness balancing the flavor.

Revive! I hate ace pear! Just dumped half the 22oz down the drain. Gave me a headache. It doesn't even have any pears in it! Or at least now it doesn't.

Latest posts

Back