accurate hop figures anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrack

Reaction score
Ive tried pretty much all of the free apps for building recipes, but none seem to have very accurate ibu estimates for FW and late additions, particularly when a steep is involved.
Brewers friend online one is ok as you can set utilisation of hop stand extractions, but it doesnt apply that to say, the 5 min and 15 min additions so you end up with a much hoppier beer. i know i can just adjust them by adding a ghost addition for whirlpool to mimic the previous addition but seems to defeat the point.
Also FW additions seem low on this (but high on most other software). I find FW is almost as bitter as full boil additions but with a more 'front of the tongue' kind of lemony bitterness as opposed to a quinine tannic bitterness from straight boil additions... Anyone share these feelings or am i talking nonsense?

Anyway, id like to know if beer smith or any other mobile software has better approximations of reality for late additions? please help.

P.S. I once made a pale with the left over hops from a mega hoppy whirlpool addition for an ipa added at 15 mins and left to steep for a half hr thereafter and it came out VERY bitter when most of the software said it should be like 20ibus even before having some of the oil extracted.

Back