Accommodating for low mash eff - what do you add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1036

Reaction score
I was asking some guys at my LHBS about methods for reaching target gravity for a brew. I know that in anticipating low efficiency with all-grain (especially with big beers) one can simply mash more grain, boil down until you reach the desired OG, etc.

However, my thoughts on this are specifically looking at different extracts to add. For example, when asking the guys about my circumstance (brewing a black ipa), they couldn't really agree on what I should add to reach my target gravity. One said straight corn sugar, but another disagreed and said that it wouldn't add enough body to a beer like that so he suggested using extra light DME. I then asked, "well if adding body or an equivalent flavor profile to the beer is the focus, why don't I add dark DME? After all, that's the type of extra that the equivalent extract kit uses." Neither of them liked this very much, saying that wouldn't be necessary.

This seems to contradict that I expected. To me, anything short of 100% efficiency from the mash would demand an extract that matches the color and flavor profile of the mash itself (since that's what your accommodating for). In other words, if I'm brewing a cream ale then perhaps adding extra light DME will do the trick, but if I'm brewing an imperial stout a dark DME would be the most appropriate addition.

Any thoughts on this? Does matching the color or flavor profile of your beer with an equivalent DME matter, or should I just keep plenty of corn sugar on hand?

Thanks in advance!

When you are mashing and come up short on the OG, you want to add light DME because you would still have extracted the color and flavor from the dark grains. Adding a dark DME means you have "doubled up" on the dark.

The problem with adding dark DME is that it has a higher percentage of dark lovibond unfermentable sugars and tannin in it. Adding more dark DME will add both unfermentable sweetness and bitterness to your beer when there is no reason to do so.

What you are after when raising your gravity to a target range is just adding more fermentable sugars for the yeast to feed on. How you get there is based on your experiences as a brewer and what you're trying to accomplish in the final beer.

Adding a sugar source is fine but it does tend to thin and dry out the beer, however if you're brewing a big beer and are just off a few points on your target OG, there's no reason you can't just add a little dextrose, sucrose, honey, treacle or brown sugar to it.

If you're way off the expected OG, going with some light LME/DME is probably the better choice for preserving the body and flavor of the beer, as it's comprised of malt sugars that better match your flavor profile on the grain bill.

Back