Accidently made a Scottish pub ale...kinda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anbrew

Reaction score
n2013328_51358639_1680.jpg

So, my first brew since moving to Spokane 2 weeks ago is done. I wanted to make something highly quaffable that wouldn't scare off my budding BMC-swilling friends here but still have some good flavor. I'm REALLY pleased with the results. This beer has a nice creamy maltiness and fruity hoppiness (not bitter at all though) that I never expected to get. I pretty much just threw something together with what I had on hand. I wanted to use fresh hops because the house I'm renting has them growing in the yard, and my window was becoming short to use them.

Here's the basic recipe (no brewing software at work so I don't have access to the exact recipe I used)

I call it Yellow Marmot Ale, after the charming little creatures that can be found throughout Spokane :fro:

10 gallons:
85% Canadian 2-row (Gambrinus)
5% Munich 10
5% Caramel 20
5% Carapils
Mashed at 152F

1oz Amarillo pellets for 60 min
2oz fresh Goldings hops at 5 min

~18 IBU

WLP028 Endinburgh Ale yeast (starter) (half of the batch was on WLP001, not as malty, more of a citrus hop flavor)
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.010

Primary for 8 days at 64F, secondary for 2 weeks at 60F.

I kegged and carbed and sampled after 4 days. I am suprised with how much I like it. Creamy and malty but very quaffable, slightly under-carbed...tastes like a cask ale. It really reminds me of Belhaven's Best on cask from when I visited Scotland, good stuff. Could just be me though :D

Latest posts

Back