Accidentally left some wort sitting in my hydrometer cylinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
I brewed Saturday night and for got to empty out the sample I took for my o.g. reading. Walked in to the garage and it's fermenting like crazy... I have a little bit of dme and a bunch of random hops... Experiment time? Or am I guaranteed failure?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

1395165661114.jpg

It wouldnt hurt to dump that into some starter wort and see how it smells/tastes then go from there. But I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Its not like the starter is going to cost you much of anything.

No just foam/krausen, I pulled the hydrometer out before I took the picture.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

It could just be bacteria. My ambient yeast capture went through two waves of "fermentation". The first looked a lot like that, it petered out in a day or two. Then two weeks later it randomly started up again.
Throw it into a starter, and let it go for a few weeks. If it doesn't smell horrible, and it significantly lowered the gravity, try to brew with it. I brewed a 1gal saison with mine and it came out great. However, I hopped my starter wort to inhibit/eliminate lacto growth. And I stepped it up twice before brewing, crashing it each time to only get the most flocculant strains.

Latest posts

Back