Accidental Wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotataduck

Reaction score
So while brewing a Baltic porter I used a 1/2 gallon starter of California Lager yeast. After 2 weeks at 60 Degrees the Gravity hadn't dropped. I didn't have a chance to go buy more yeast and I needed to Cold Crash another beer so I just took my Porter out and left it at room temp (83 degrees) thinking it might be lost.

A week later it started to bubble. It fermented out, and the beer seems to be okay.

My question is do you think this is the lager yeast or did I accidentally infect my beer with something else and I'm working with a wild strain?

Was the beer exposed to the open air at any point?
What kind of fermenter are you using?
What was the yeast viability prior to pitching?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The beer was exposed to the air while cooling initially, and once after about 2 weeks where I opened the 5 gallon Keg up to and took a sample to check the gravity.

I made a 1/2 gallon starter from a smack pack 3 days before pitching. There was a krausen in the starter, but I didn't notice much bubbling on the airlock. I thought that because it was a lager yeast there might not be much action so I just pitched it.

Back