Accidental Whirlfloc Effectiveness Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAddikt

Expert Beer Quaffer
Reaction score
So I finally did it. Wrapped up brewing a Citra/Cascade session IPA last Friday and what do I see when I'm cleaning up...the Whirlfloc tablet...WHOOPS!!!

I've been legitimately curious of the merits of Irish moss since I took up this addictive and time devouring hobby several years ago. This is the only batch I've ever skipped the addition on other than the NEIPAs I brew intentionally cloudy.

I plan on kegging next Thursday so I will post my results. I'm not sure if Brulosophy did this experiment yet or not but apprarently I'm now doing my own. I've brewed this exact recipe twice before so we'll see what the lack of whirlfloc does to my turbidity.

Stay tuned....

Tried and true Wyeast 1056, my go to for IPAs. And I will be cold crashing as always.

Brulosophy did test this. IIRC it does not affect the end result clarity jut the beer does clear up faster, probably because there is a bit less crap to settle down in the bottles.

If you're concerned about clarity in the finished beer, consider using gelatin to fine it out upon kegging. Lots of posts here on how to do it. I use whirlfloc in all my beers, and for the most part it doesn't affect the finished clarity (depending on the recipe), just helps the cold break drop out at chilling time.

Back