ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

New to home brewing, have done 3 batches now which have all turned out fine. Does brewing Gluten free with Sorghum, Rice syrup etc. generally cause lower ABV ? Mine seem to be on the low side, 3%. How can I increase to get up into the 5-7 % range. Thanks in advance, great forum !

Steve

You just need to increase your starting gravity. What has been the starting and finishing gravity of those beers? And are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the final gravity?

Most recent batch OG = 1.045 FG = 1.020 Made with Dark Sorghum, Brown Rice syrup, Dried Rice sugar, Dark candi syrup, 4 oz Maltodextrin. Using a hydrometer.

Last edited:
Yeah, you need to boost up your OG to at least 1.065 but also finishing at 1.020 seems high. Are you confident that the fermentation was complete?

Hello,

I know the fermentation was not complete as I moved it to a secondary fermenter too early, learned my lesson there. How do I get a higher inital SG ? Am brewing 5 gals at a time. Do I take the initial SG reading before I combine the 3 gals of wert with the 2 gals of water or after ?

Hello,

So this batch I used 3 lbs dark sorghum, 3 lbs. Brown Rice syrup, 1/2 lb. Dried Rice sugar, 4 oz Maltodextrin, 2 tbsp's of dark candy syrup, and 11G of Nottingham Ale Yeast with a yeast nutrient. More sugar than that ? Would it help to double the yeast ? Any advice on the SG readings ? Thanks

1.020 is definitely high, especially for an extract brew. Let the beer finish next time. You don't need to secondary (it's usually more detrimental due to oxygen pick up). What yeast did you use?

Premire series lallemand high performance ale yeast, Nottingham, 11G Also, when I take the OG reading with the hydrometer do I take it from the 3 gallons of wort or the 3 gals wort plus the 2 gallons of water i add ? I know I take it before I pitch the yeast. Thanks

If you're diluting, do it after you add the water. Nottingham should finish much lower, so next time just let it ride until the final gravity settles and you should be all good.

Sounds good .... plan to leave it in the fermenter for at least two weeks if not three before I bottle it. Thanks

My last several batches have stopped at between 1.012 and 1.014, both Nottingham and S-04. I'd give it a little longer if it's still at 1.020.

Back