Abv for fruit added in secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivepointslow

Reaction score
I did a search but turned up nothing, maybe it's me...

So the question is if I know the OG and FG of a beer then add fruit and that ferments. How do I really know the true abv?

Could I simply get a refrac reading of the fruit and add that gravity into some equation?

Had a 5.5% beer that I added 2lbs of prickly pear to and it was amazing!! However it would put you on your ass lol. Very sneaky beer.

Youll need to figure out the total sugar content of whatever fruit you are adding. So lets say 1 apple has 15g sugar (random guess). If you add 5 chopped apples thats about 75g sugar. So you put the equivalent 75g sugar into a beer tool. According to my calcs, it adds 0.002 to the OG, so now you know the "true" OG. The FG reading you can just take as normal. Those 2 readings give you the abv. This method you can add the fruit whenever

Got it?

There is a good read here which points out then when adding fruit you are also adding volume/water. Depending on the fruit and the beer you may be slightly upping the ABV or slightly lowering it. Seems to me the calculations are much easier with juice. I don't think he explains how you get the Brix on fresh fruit.

Basically adding whole fruit to your beer is actually diluting it. Dried fruit or fruit juice concentrate is a much better way of adding both abv and fruit flavor.

Back