About to start my first brew, question about Diversol and sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdriver84

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my first brew kit a while back and was going to get into it tonight. How do you go about using the Diversol? DO I fill my primary right to the top and mix to volume from the Diversol, then let it soak? Or do I do like 10 litres, then scrub everything down with that? Do you rinse your primary and tools after sanitizing? Air dry? Go straight to work?

The instructions with my kit are a little vague, and I couldn't find any good videos on the subject on youtube.

Google search =

http://www.homebrewit.com/Brew_House_Cleaning_and_Sanitising_.pdf

DIVERSOL
(Sani-Brew)
Diversol is extremely effective both as a cleaner and as a sanitizer. Available
under a variety of trade names, you'll recognize Diversol because it is a
chlorinated pink powder.
1. Dissolve 3.5g per litre of cold water. (5 tsp. per gal).
2. Soak stained equipment for up to 48 hours.
3. Rinse thoroughly with hot water.

Sanitizing most equipment:
1. Fill primary fermenter with Diversol solution (3.5 g per litre of cold water
[5 tsp. per gal.]). Fully immerse everything you'll need: hoses, spoons, bungs,
hydrometers, thermometers, airlocks, and primary lid.
2. Soak equipment for at least 20

Corrodes stainless steel. Can bleach clothing. Do not mix with acids, amines, or ammonia. Such a mixture produces dangerous gases.

Alright. Just to be sure, there's no issues with storing it for a few days right? Say after I have cleansed and sanitized all my primary equipment, can I pump the used Diversol solution into my waiting secondary and leave it in there under airlock for 4 or 5 days until the wort is ready to go into the secondary?

My first post! :) Just bought my equipment and am getting ready for my first batch :p

But ya, I too was wondering about how long you can store it for. As in, could I just pour the used solution from my primary into my carboy to be used again in a few days?

Thanks!
Rob.

My first post! :) Just bought my equipment and am getting ready for my first batch :p

But ya, I too was wondering about how long you can store it for. As in, could I just pour the used solution from my primary into my carboy to be used again in a few days?

Thanks!
Rob.

MFG recommends only storing for 48 hrs. I've never stored mine for any length of time, as it becomes cloudy and looks rusty after sitting. I use it with HDPE buckets, so as long as the plastic carboy is HDPE (better bottle, I assume) you'll be fine!

Back